Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum (http://www.mazda3forums.com/forumindex.php)
-   Release / Pricing (http://www.mazda3forums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   3s sedan loaded - Philadelphia area - what should I pay? (http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=202968)

smapdi636 02-05-2004 02:35 PM

3s sedan loaded - Philadelphia area - what should I pay?

Hey all. First post.

Looking to buy a 3s sedan with all options (less CA emissions), so thats:

elec. tran 4spd,
sport package,
xenon/tmps
abs/sab/sac
moonroof/6cd
wheel locks
leather
nav

I've heard mixed information re: dealer costs found online and at this point don't know what is the bottom $ I should possibly be paying OTR and am looking for some help!

I want to take advantage of the 3.9% financing offered by Mazda and will offer up a downpayment and will be selling my current vehicle outright so it won't be clouding the situation.

Thanks for any help offered!

LeeLee 02-05-2004 02:48 PM

Go on Edmunds, find the invoice price, that's your goal, not a dollar more. Dealers in MD/VA are selling Mazda3s at invoice or slightly above it ($100 to $200) without haggling. And it is not a far drive from Pennsylvania.

freston 02-05-2004 03:00 PM

LeeLee's right. go to Edmunds.com and spec out what you want. try not to pay over that invoice. i got mine for $400 under invoice, and now i'm sure the dealer would've gone $200 cheaper than that.

of course region has something to do with it...apparently our candian friends are not able to negotiate the price down too much b/c the 3 is selling like gangbusters or something. but the Edmunds.com invoice does take into account your zip code, so maybe that'll help.

smapdi636 02-05-2004 03:27 PM

Excellent. Thanks!

I also downloaded the spreadsheet from carbuyingtips.com and that is helping me to see things in black-and-white.

Now lets just hope they have one nearby with the options I want... The first dealer I went to said there wasn't one nearby but he could order @ 8-10 weeks waiting time. I think that was because I shot my mouth off and said I'd prefer to wait and get what I want so he could pocket the holdback without ever really having to house the vehicle.

I then talked to another dealer who told me there was one around with the options I wanted and in the color I wanted...

Thanks again.

lmp180psu 02-05-2004 06:41 PM

The only problem with Edmunds is their TMV pricing is a little slow to update. I checked for both of my zip codes (Philly and Harrisburg), and it says the TMV is about $1000 over invoice. When I make an offer I will be happy with a deal of about $150-200 over invoice including any doc fees, but not including any rebates.

BTW : Which Philly dealership(s) are you looking/shopping at? Good Luck!

smapdi636 02-05-2004 06:51 PM

I'm actually right over the Walt Whitman in NJ. There is a dealer on Rt. 73 that I visited in person - can't remember the name off the top of my head.

I emailed with the Faulkner Mazda internet salesrep (via. Edmunds) and was quoted, "The MSRP is $23045, our sale price would be $21953 plus 6% sales tax and $130 for new tags".

lmp180psu 02-05-2004 07:00 PM

I/ my mom lives about 5 mins away from Faulkner Mazda. That price seems a little high ( $800 over invoice), but considering that a fully loaded Mazda3 probably is in low supply, that might be a fair price, as your other option might be to wait a couple of months for another car like it ( "order" from factory).

smapdi636 02-05-2004 07:22 PM

Wow. Any experience with them? Service dept. or otherwise?

That was their first offer - maybe I can go in a deal a bit?

lmp180psu 02-05-2004 07:39 PM

No experience with them unfortunately, but I do go to their lot on Sundays to look at the Mazda3s, when I visit my mom :)

It can't hurt to bargain with them within reason. Also, if you haven't already, go to mazdausa.com and do an inventory search of cars equipped similar to the one you want.

I did for my first choice ( now a silver sedan w/sport pkg, cd pkg, abs pkg, and auto), and within a 100 mile radius of Harrisburg, there were only 6 equipped like I want. I will be going to my local dealer, in the middle of Feb to test drive again, and inquire about their future inventory of silver sedans, so I know what kind of supply they may have.

freston 02-05-2004 09:25 PM

the first price is never the last price. that's my experience at least.

tell them you want the car and are willing to buy, but offer them something well under invoice and see if they come down to try and meet you.