Mazda3 Forums banner

eSienk's Mazdaspeed3 STX Solo project

11K views 52 replies 14 participants last post by  tigermack 
#1 ·

2009 CWP Mazdaspeed 3
SCCA Solo #49 STX​

See less See more
#40 ·
So I changed my mind a little on the endlinks and ended up going with adjustables built by Massive SpeedSystem.

It hit me that the Focus STs share the same size links, so since they're the hot new hatchback I figured there would be some other options out there. That led me to these.

They have a nice metallic powdercoat, Aurora ends, and those nice dust boots that I've never seen on endlinks before. The adjustment range is from 12" to 13.5" center to center. They ticked every box and the price was excellent from the quality I see. We'll find out how they perform.

Massive also makes some really nice looking billet aluminum rear adjustable camber arms for our 3s. If only the spherical rod ends were legal...

#41 ·
Getting worried. Bilstein NC had a vital tool to work on my struts break so they had to overnight them to CA. They say they'll be back middle of next week. Hoping for the best. If they don't get here by next weekend it makes Nationals a "lets see who we can beat on stock suspension". Not as much fun, but I'm going either way! :cheesy:

Talk about last minute. This is worse than last year.

#42 ·
Struts came in yesterday! Picked em up and slapped everything on the car today. Had to make a few minor fit adjustments, then set ride heights, and finally took her around the block. So far it rides more comfortably than stock! I might have just been converted to monotubes!

Only issue is the front springs are an inch too long and interfere with the wheels/tires. Ordered some wheel spacer to make everything work. Ideally (later) I'll get the correct length springs.

All in all I'm quite impressed that this first attempt at a custom setup came together and appears to be working correctly. (pat on back)

Pro points for color coordination.

Not pro points for ghetto strut bellow.

Getting the alignment on Thursday, packing Friday, heading to Lincoln Saturday. See everyone there!

#44 ·
Looks nice. The P30-0032 is a good insert, I have its cousin the P30-3066 on my Focus (best I can tell the only difference is they are longer)

How did you come up with the valving? I had the Poway facility revalve mine and I'm fairly happy but think it could be better. Small bumps feel huge and large bumps feel small.

Good luck in Lincoln.

#45 ·
Well Nationals is over and I've finally figured out for myself why nobody competitively autocrosses the Speed3.

and the answer is!.....
It's terrible.

I am quite positive that I would have been just as fast, or at least within a tenth of my times if I were driving last years non-Speed.

Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome daily driver/fun street car. It's just completely awful for autocross. Difficult to modulate throttle, the steering angle boost cut is stupid, it's really heavy, front tires are a million degrees after the first run. Oh, and it's not particularly fun on course either, that's the big one.

So now everything's for sale. The suspension performed well, I wish I would have had it on last year's car. So it's for sale if anyone wants a cheap way into a sweet setup.
The car will also be for sale soon if anyone wants a very well maintained, low mileage Speed3.

Buy my suspension! -> http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?p=9580017#post9580017

Now to look for what to get into next.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.