Kenlilley04's STF Build Thread - Page 7 - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Short Track Racer
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam3s View Post
Anytime Ken, better to ask questions before you buy and install part than after. It seemed you assumed the other way though.



I'd be sure to thoroughly study the Street and Street Touring rules, especially since you're competing on the national tour now. If it doesn't say in there you can do something in those rules below, you typically can't as a rule of thumb. If you have questions (which you should) keep asking, but try to find it in the rules first. If you're committed enough to drive 13 hours to an event each way, that tells me you should be committed enough to thoroughly study the rules too.



You seem to be a natural at autocross based on the results I've seen vs the very limited amount of seat time experience you have. If you continue to improve, and start directly competing against the top STF guys for trophy and/or contingency spots, they will look over your car more carefully than they do right now, and you want to try to ensure everything is on the up and up if that happens.



http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files...pdf?1458856378



http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files...pdf?1458856541



As far as the RSX is concerned, that page has always just said RSX. I think they did clarify in a past fastrack that it also includes the RSX Type S, but I'm with you, I think they should put it on the page.


I remember reading about not having spherical bearings or changing the metal ratio on aftermarket ones I was just making sure.
It's funny you mentioned the fast track because I've looked all the way back to 2014 and I can't find where it says the Type-S. Now it's really easy to miss those especially since they are close to 100 pages each for the year. My point is, technically the type-s isn't allowed in STF, it's not in the rule book as being eligible. The base model fits the STF model better at 160hp it matches other cars in the class, the Type S is just absurd.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kenlilley04 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 04:26 PM
Le Mans: Prototype Class
 
Adam3s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenlilley04 View Post
I remember reading about not having spherical bearings or changing the metal ratio on aftermarket ones I was just making sure.
I see, fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenlilley04 View Post
It's funny you mentioned the fast track because I've looked all the way back to 2014 and I can't find where it says the Type-S. Now it's really easy to miss those especially since they are close to 100 pages each for the year. My point is, technically the type-s isn't allowed in STF, it's not in the rule book as being eligible. The base model fits the STF model better at 160hp it matches other cars in the class, the Type S is just absurd.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They never listed the type S on that particular page of eligible cars, but it was covered in fastrack at some point, trust me.
Adam3s is offline  
post #63 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 04:45 PM
Le Mans: Prototype Class
 
Adam3s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,225
Also Ken, don't believe everything you hear about the Type S Acura. I know it's popular to hate on the Acura, but I'm one of the few STF drivers that have actually autocrossed a well prepped RSX-S. I did so on the practice course at Lincoln NE. Guess what? After doing back to back testing, I was actually faster in my Mazda3. The open diff on the Type S really neuters the extra power it has and you rarely can use it. I think with some more seat time in the Acura I could be as fast as I am in the Mazda3, but not faster much at all, if any. The people with Acura's who are winning aren't winning because the car is an overdog, they are winning because they are better drivers and/or builders than the people who aren't winning. There's perception and hype, and then there's the truth. That's the truth.

Last edited by Adam3s; 06-22-2016 at 04:49 PM.
Adam3s is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 05:31 PM
Grand Am Series
 
dgross7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Urbana, MD
Posts: 464
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam3s View Post
Also Ken, don't believe everything you hear about the Type S Acura. I know it's popular to hate on the Acura, but I'm one of the few STF drivers that have actually autocrossed a well prepped RSX-S. I did so on the practice course at Lincoln NE. Guess what? After doing back to back testing, I was actually faster in my Mazda3. The open diff on the Type S really neuters the extra power it has and you rarely can use it. I think with some more seat time in the Acura I could be as fast as I am in the Mazda3, but not faster much at all, if any. The people with Acura's who are winning aren't winning because the car is an overdog, they are winning because they are better drivers and/or builders than the people who aren't winning. There's perception and hype, and then there's the truth. That's the truth.
BOOM *micdrop*

I'm with you Adam, I have my own thoughts and opinions on this too, but you hit the major points. Things on paper don't always correlate to real-world application.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dgross7 is offline  
post #65 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Short Track Racer
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam3s View Post
Also Ken, don't believe everything you hear about the Type S Acura. I know it's popular to hate on the Acura, but I'm one of the few STF drivers that have actually autocrossed a well prepped RSX-S. I did so on the practice course at Lincoln NE. Guess what? After doing back to back testing, I was actually faster in my Mazda3. The open diff on the Type S really neuters the extra power it has and you rarely can use it. I think with some more seat time in the Acura I could be as fast as I am in the Mazda3, but not faster much at all, if any. The people with Acura's who are winning aren't winning because the car is an overdog, they are winning because they are better drivers and/or builders than the people who aren't winning. There's perception and hype, and then there's the truth. That's the truth.


I just look at it like this, I feel we on this forum are pretty decent builders and great drivers, although we each have similar setups our cars are very close to being 100% prepped, me being closer to 75% but for arguments sake it's close enough.
I feel the Mazda folks have a harder time finding reliable bolt on parts and because of this the price to be competitive is much higher. The Acura/Honda's have a much better market for aftermarket parts not to mention countless proven setups that are proven to work.
I've also read that the acuras are much faster but only on a more point and shoot type course rather than a transition heavy/technical course so there's always that. Going in to this build I thought our platforms would be the cars to beat, I'm finding the other platforms in STF are just as much up to the task as ours are.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kenlilley04 is offline  
post #66 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 01:58 PM
Le Mans: Prototype Class
 
Adam3s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenlilley04 View Post
I just look at it like this, I feel we on this forum are pretty decent builders and great drivers, although we each have similar setups our cars are very close to being 100% prepped, me being closer to 75% but for arguments sake it's close enough.
I feel the Mazda folks have a harder time finding reliable bolt on parts and because of this the price to be competitive is much higher. The Acura/Honda's have a much better market for aftermarket parts not to mention countless proven setups that are proven to work.
I've also read that the acuras are much faster but only on a more point and shoot type course rather than a transition heavy/technical course so there's always that. Going in to this build I thought our platforms would be the cars to beat, I'm finding the other platforms in STF are just as much up to the task as ours are.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ken, I think you'd be surprised how far back we all are here in both driver and car development from Kim and David. I've probably spent more time running up against them nationally in STF than any other, so that lends credibility to me and my opinion. We are all playing in the kiddie pool compared to them, trust me on this .
Adam3s is offline  
post #67 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Short Track Racer
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam3s View Post
Ken, I think you'd be surprised how far back we all are here in both driver and car development from Kim and David. I've probably spent more time running up against them nationally in STF than any other, so that lends credibility to me and my opinion. We are all playing in the kiddie pool compared to them, trust me on this .


I'm not saying we are better developers of cars than they are, just stating that we aren't to shabby either lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kenlilley04 is offline  
post #68 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Short Track Racer
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 171
So was able to get a few things done on the car now that I am back from vacation. Sold my used vibrant header and was able to find a brand new one never installed, wrapped with DEI titanium header wrap and lengthened the secondary O2 sensor to fit into the corksport exhaust.
Also was able to sell my RPF1's to a local mazdaspeed3 who runs in GS (trophied at the Dixie tour) in turn I have a set of 15X7.5 rota's with re71's on order, and I was able to order the corksport camber plates as well! Next up is bushings front and rear!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kenlilley04 is offline  
post #69 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Short Track Racer
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 171
Alright so camber plates will ship on Friday and hopefully so will my rims, tires should be shipping soon, haven't checked tire rack so see when they will be back in stock. I'm so excited to get all the parts installed and make some runs


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kenlilley04 is offline  
post #70 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 06:13 PM
Grand Am Series
 
mazda3az's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 486
Garage
Wheels Shipped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenlilley04 View Post
Alright so camber plates will ship on Friday and hopefully so will my rims..........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just got back from FedEx, wheels are on the way.

Scott Meyers
2006 Mazda 3S Sport - Making it the best that it can be
mazda3az is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Autocross, Track, and Dyno Results

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



  LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazda3forums.com/90-autocross-track-dyno-results/693817-kenlilley04s-stf-build-thread.html
Posted By For Type Date
Kenlilley04's STF Build Thread - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 07-02-2016 04:15 AM
Autocross, Track, and Dyno Results [Archive] - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 05-11-2016 05:40 PM
Kenlilley04's STF Build Thread - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 02-26-2016 10:42 PM
FMVPerformance.com Network: The sites for all your Ford Mazda and Volvo Needs This thread Refback 11-19-2015 08:48 AM

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
STF to FSP build Thread Adam3s Autocross, Track, and Dyno Results 836 03-14-2018 06:18 PM
dgross7's STF build thread dgross7 Autocross, Track, and Dyno Results 244 11-10-2017 02:15 PM
miata_racer's turrible STF build thread miata_racer Autocross, Track, and Dyno Results 258 12-19-2016 04:25 PM
Yes Another STF BUILD Bumblebee043 Autocross, Track, and Dyno Results 16 08-13-2013 01:37 PM
STF Build SpeedTheory Autocross, Track, and Dyno Results 7 05-29-2012 10:35 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
8