Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum - View Single Post - Running a SkyActive 3 at a Solo event?
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 02:35 PM
flatlander937

Just go and have fun with it... you won't be making fastest PAX time of the day even if you had a Mini Cooper(the car to have) being the first time.

Here was my impression of my first time autocrossing:

http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=394354

One thing that I've since found out is I was pushing the car too hard in the corners... with more experience now I generally run 41-43psi in the front tires and 50psi in the rear. On a concrete surface(lots of grip) I found I had to let 2psi out of the rear to balance the car.

I have some so-so all season tires... so your tire pressures will probably be close so try starting there.

Here's a link to my local SCCA site, they have a pretty good overview of what to bring and stuff.

In addition: bring chalk for marking your tires to monitor tire rollover. Keep in mind if you overdrive your car(understeer badly into a turn) then that chalk reading will be worthless... I've worn chalk off of the whole sidewall before. Bring an air tank for adjusting pressures. Bring a tire gauge that reads in 1psi increments(and make sure it's consistent). Bring masking tape for number/class marking. Bring a LOT of water and sun screen and a hat too.... that will be the difference between you looking like a lobster or a Mexican after standing in the sun all day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Mazda 3i Touring /// Hawk HPS front pads /// Goodyear Eagle GT 205/50R17 on stock wheels /// Ghetto fabulous filled motor mount

Guinea pig for Dynotronics tuning.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome