Mazda3 Forums banner

June FasTrack - ST Re-Org

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  justint5387 
#1 ·
http://www.scca.com/documents/Fastrack/11/11-fastrack-june-solo.pdf

Looks like they are narrowing in on what the ST classes will look like for next year.

- ST "New" for the 3, and STX for the Speed 3.

Which one has a better shot?

I think the Speed 3, even with the max wheel/tire, still has a tough road to beat the RX-8. But, it does have big torque advantage. ST "New" should be a good fit for the 3, but the mini's and rsx's will be tough.

#2 ·
This is great news for us...even the stock guys could get a sway bar allowance (now if they only got motor mounts too). I am really excited about this! I hope it gets approved for next year.

I can't really speak for the Speed3 being competitive in STX, but as far as ST "New", I think the 3 will be a definite contender.

I also noticed a few cars that may have gotten left out of ST "New" like:
Focus (non Mark I RS)**
Sentra (2000-present) (non Spec V)
Forte Koup
Hyundai Tiburon
Lancer (non Evo)
Imprezza (non turbo)
Cruze
Aveo (gosh forbid)
G5/Ion/Cavalier/Cobalt (non post-2007 SS and all Red Line)**

However, as much as I want the ST "New" to go through, I don't have really any cars on that list that are regulars in my region. I want to win, but not because I'm the only one who shows up.

Just my 0.02

**edit

#3 ·
I think it's cool that they have this new class in ST for newer cars to play... my pick would be the 2.5RS.

I am not sure how well the MS3 can do in STX but it has much better chance in STX than STU. The wheel spin is still ridiculous even with 255's in front. If someone make front control arms (allowing more than -3.5 front camber) for these cars, it'd totally change the game. The front is heavy, the tires roll over like crazy on these cars. Wheel spin would still suck no matter what so making it up in the corners would be the way.

I like the stock new changes but it's still up for debate, there was a guy on here who rolled their stock 3 because of the RSB he had and was on r-comps. That's the reason why they have always limited RSB on FWD and AWD cars.

#4 ·
[quote author=tigermack link=topic=191212.msg4031420#msg4031420 date=1306198624]

I like the stock new changes but it's still up for debate, there was a guy on here who rolled their stock 3 because of the RSB he had and was on r-comps. That's the reason why they have always limited RSB on FWD and AWD cars.

[/quote]

I was so immersed in the ST changes that I totally missed this, and I drive a stock car! It definitely gets my vote. I have to imagine that the 3 that rolled had something else involved to cause that besides a rear bar and lots of grip: surface imperfections, elevation change, something....

#6 ·
[quote author=tigermack link=topic=191212.msg4031420#msg4031420 date=1306198624]
my pick would be the 2.5RS.
[/quote]

I gotta agree with you. That is the car I'm most worried about in ST "New" with the Mini a close second.

I also forgot the Ford Focus in my list above (kinda assumed it was already there). I would say include the SVT too.

#7 ·
I think it's cool that they have this new class in ST for newer cars to play... my pick would be the 2.5RS.

[/quote]

Under the current proposal, the Impreza 2.5 RS (98-2001) is not in the ST "New" list. It stays in ST.

#12 ·
The new STF class sounds intriguing but after racing on strictly r-comps for awhile I'm not sure I want to go back to the grip (or lack there of) of street tires. Plus, the Mazda3 may not be a top STF contender like it is in HS. When you start throwing mods on the cars it can change the whole picture. It will be interesting to see what car or cars develop as the class overdogs.

#13 ·
I'll be building my 08 speed 3 for stx next year. At a recent event I double entered my car in stock in the morning and stu for the afternoon and just swapped on a set of wider wheels and tires. I've been auto-crossing the speed 3 for 3 years in a local class for stock class cars on street tires (no hoosiers) with decent results, but lately I have been frustrated with the car on street tires and 7" wheels. Upon swapping on the new setup (17 x 9 with 245 tires) I shaved 1.5 seconds (47.6 down to a 46.1) 46.1 was the same time as a nationally competitive driver in a GS hyundai genesis r spec on fresh hoosiers! I know there is more left in the car but extremely high track temps made it impossible to keep the dunlops within their temp range and they fell off pace by the third run. I think the car could be a decent stx car but regardless it will be fun to try as I am very much against Hoosiers due to the outrageous cost and their very short life. Big thumbs up for the recent ST changes by the SCCA. From this most recent ST shake up to the addition of the hugely popular STR class, these guys deserve some thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.