Mazda3 Forums banner

high beam failure

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  my_mazda3 
#1 ·
new 20103GT with 3k km high beams go on and off normally for 20 to 30 uses then fail to work again until car is turned off and restarted. Might have to do with the temperature. -35 to -40 plus windchill. the dealer can't reproduce the effect and have done nothing. too many deer, elk and moose to lose my high beams for long. Any idea as to what is failing? :(

#3 ·
northern Alberta. I drive 250 km (roughly 150 miles) to work and back everyday. The temperature in the country is usually about -35 this last week. the car registered -40 in a river valley. Anyway the highbeams are toggled on and off as I dim for oncoming traffic. about twenty or so toggles and both high beams stop coming on. The fog lights are still turned off when I hold the high beams on, but the high beams are done. It seems that if I turn the vehicle off the beams return (reset?) It is impractical to stop as the roads are snow and ice covered and if you go on the shoulder you will end up in the ditch and buried. The dealer of course doesn't see the fault unless they drive with me which is unlikely.

#4 ·
Do you have the bi-xenon lights? It sounds like a glitch in the how the shutter operates, which you obviously know. I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you as I have not heard of anyone reporting this issue. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be, especially in those driving conditions. Hopefully someone chimes in with experience and direction.

#7 ·
thats a negative, I work for a car company where generally every car has the bixenon shutters and I am sorry to say I have never come across this before. I have however seen faults in the computer for the shutters. Generally the faults are for beeing stuck on or faillure to go on. I would suggest you get the dealer to scan it with their tester.I dont know how sophisticated mazda is in these terms but its worth a shot if they have not scanned it as of yet

#8 ·
Aren't all bixenon shutters controlled via a solenoid? Why would a computer need to be involved in it...... solenoid gets signal and actuates, moves shield, more light.

If you can set up a camera in your car and see if you can capture the malfunction to show the dealer. Alternately see if they'd put someone in the car with you to drive to try to cause it to happen.

#9 ·
The cars I work on the lighting system is controlled by a light control module(lcm) and it stores all faults for instance bulbs out, shutter malfunctions by shorts, and many other faults. It is worth a shot if Mazda is this sophisticated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.