Greetings all! Just purchased a new 2012 Mazda 3 i Touring, and I'm shipping it to England (Air Force). Unfortunately for me, I found out AFTER I purchased the car that they are requiring daytime running lights. I really like the look of the little ones that fit in the upper corner of the "smile" but I don't have that kind of money right now with everything we're saving up for. So, I found a nice alternative at the local PepBoys and thought I would give it a try.
The kit came with two 4-LED lights, 2 mounting brackets, 1 control module, 4 screws, some zip-ties, and a splice.
Here are some pics I took while doing the mod because I know everyone would want them! Here are the steps I took also.
First, I removed the front bumper, which was not too bad.
Next, I had to figure out where I was going to mount the lights. I finally decided on the mid part of the grill where there are plastic fairings behind the grill.
I made a template out of cardboard so I would drill the holes out correctly, then I proceeded to cut the plastic grill section that the lights would fit through.
Pics with the grill cut out and holes for the bolts.
I had to get 4 M5 bolts as the kit didn't come with them. You are able to mount the lights without the brackets if you mount them from the back side. Here is a pic of the light mounted in the grill.
Here is a pic of the screws from behind the grill
I routed the wires behind the bumper and through the hole at the top on the drivers side where the wires for the fan go through.
I installed the control module on the small relay cover directly in front of the main fuse box. Since there was only one relay in there, I mounted it with the screws on the side that was empty.
I routed the wires that connect to the battery through the hole on the bottom of the battery tray, secured them and connected them to the + and - terminals.
There is an orange wire from the control module that you splice in to the marker light wire. On the drivers side, I found the plug leading to the lights, and pulled it apart. The wire color was actually the orange wire, so I spliced behind the plug (NOT on the harness connected to the light assembly).
I connected the lights to the control unit, checked them, and they worked great! Just secured all the extra wire, bolted the bumper back on, and now I have DRL's on the Mazda!
If you have any questions about my install, let me know.