2011 Mazda3 Sport Timing Chain Replacement Hints and Tips - Page 2 - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Bicycle Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3iguy View Post
Ok, it sounds like the oil quality is fine, and should be quite capable of handling a 12K mile OCI. I'm not familiar with vehicle specifications outside of North America, so that's why I'm asking which engine your vehicle has.
Sorry mate, I missed that, it’s the 2.2 4 cylinder 185bhp I think it’s the MZR R2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 01:41 PM
Short Track Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentionally_Blank View Post
Sorry mate, I missed that, itís the 2.2 4 cylinder 185bhp I think itís the MZR R2
Yep, as I was writing my last post it finally dawned on me I've been totally asleep at the wheel, and that your vehicle most likely is diesel. I'll say flat out that I'm not familiar with diesel engines, and have probably been wasting your time. What I would have suggested with a sludged up gasoline engine (especially direct injected or turbo) would be to clean it up by doing multiple very short interval oil changes, which is based on me knowing the reasons that gas engines become sludge monsters.

For gas engines sludge is almost always caused by poor oil maintenance and/or poor driving habits, and cleaning it up, along with changing the bad practice will very often fix the problem. However I don't have that same knowledge for diesel, and just cleaning it up might very well result in more sludge if the underlying physical cause is not taken care of. So my apologies, and I hope you get your vehicle's problem figured out and taken care of without a big expense.

2011 3i 2.0 A/T 145K miles
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Bicycle Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3iguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentionally_Blank View Post
Sorry mate, I missed that, it’s the 2.2 4 cylinder 185bhp I think it’s the MZR R2
Yep, as I was writing my last post it finally dawned on me I've been totally asleep at the wheel, and that your vehicle most likely is diesel. I'll say flat out that I'm not familiar with diesel engines, and have probably been wasting your time. What I would have suggested with a sludged up gasoline engine (especially direct injected or turbo) would be to clean it up by doing multiple very short interval oil changes, which is based on me knowing the reasons that gas engines become sludge monsters.

For gas engines sludge is almost always caused by poor oil maintenance and/or poor driving habits, and cleaning it up, along with changing the bad practice will very often fix the problem. However I don't have that same knowledge for diesel, and just cleaning it up might very well result in more sludge if the underlying physical cause is not taken care of. So my apologies, and I hope you get your vehicle's problem figured out and taken care of without a big expense.
Lol, it gets us all, I blame age! No worries. Thank you for taking the time to try though, much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Powertrain for 2010-2013

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page