Swirl flap preventetive maintenance - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Bicycle Rider

Question Swirl flap preventetive maintenance

Hi All,

Recent owner of a 2009 Mazda 3 BL. When researching known issues before purchasing this car, I have been told about some swirl plate thing in the intake manifold that can break and get sucked into the engine and destroy it.

I would like to know when do I need to sort this out before it becomes an issue. I have 68000kms on the car currently.

Regards,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by judgem View Post
Hi All,

Recent owner of a 2009 Mazda 3 BL. When researching known issues before purchasing this car, I have been told about some swirl plate thing in the intake manifold that can break and get sucked into the engine and destroy it.

I would like to know when do I need to sort this out before it becomes an issue. I have 68000kms on the car currently.

Regards,
What is a Mazda3 BL?

I had a 2009 Mazda3 i and never heard of a swirl plate; that and I haven't heard of any such thing on any of the Mazda forums I participate in.

2006 Acura TL 6-Speed Manual
2016 Mazda3 s GT 5-Door 6-Speed Manual
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 11:51 PM
Bicycle Rider

He is referring to the flaps in the VTCS system and BL is the code for second generation Mazda 3s, BK being first gen. Although I believe these names are only used in Australia.

To answer your question there isn't much you can do in terms of preventative maintenance other than remove them entirely as they're pretty much sealed inside the intake manifold. I'm pretty sure they fixed the issues causing them to fail by 2009. My 2008 2.0ls flaps had no free play and the rod was in perfect condition when removed, this was in a car with 220,000 kms so you should be fine.

Craig's video on his Ford Mondeo (I'd link the video but can't as I don't have enough posts on the forums.) showed the issue to be the small plastic inserts between the intake runners. These weren't present on my manifold so I doubt they would be on yours, I only removed my flap assemblies for the slight performance benefit which is actually quite noticeable.

But yeah you should be fine, and no, there isn't much maintenance you can do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Powertrain for 2010-2013

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page