Used Oil Analysis for 11K OCI - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By m3iguy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Short Track Racer

Used Oil Analysis for 11K OCI

I normally always keep right on top of maintenance, especially oil changes for the various vehicles in our family. However this has been a really busy period of time for me, and I completely lost track of when the next oil change on my Daughter's 3i was supposed to happen. I did check the oil regularly, and that is actually what 'helped' me go astray, along with a couple long trips she made that didn't register with me. With the normal 7.5K OCIs I'd been doing, this 3i has never needed any top-off whatsoever, and the full synthetic oil always looks great on the dipstick and the rag. And that continued to be the case, all the way through 3.4K 'extra' miles! Every oil check never looked anything less than outstanding.

So at 10.9K miles since the last change, I finally woke up and realized that we had gone into overtime. Having previously read many accounts of very long OCIs with full synthetic, I wasn't overly concerned. However it was breaking new ground for me, given the previous max OCI of 7.5K (for 2 of our vehicles). I also figured this extended OCI had given me a good reason to have a UOA done, which is also something new for me.

When the UOA came back with flying colors, I was pleased but not surprised by the results. I'm not posting this with the intent of trying to convince anyone to do longer OCIs - it's just an FYI about the results from one vehicle for anyone who is interested in this stuff. Frankly, I'm not even certain what I'm going to do going forward. I'll almost certainly extend my OCIs, but have not yet determined by how much. In any case, I'm now MUCH less concerned about doing 'book' OCIs than I was prior to this experience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M3iUOA.jpg (278.3 KB, 14 views)
MZ3Driver likes this.

2011 3i 2.0 A/T 130K miles (daughter's ride which I maintain)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 09:16 PM
Short Track Racer

Thanks for posting this. I did an oil analysis 2 years ago:

http://www.mazda3forums.com/10027458-post22.html

It was with Mobil-1 Synthetic 5w-20 and I got good results. Right now, I have Pennzoil 0w-20 in my engine, and it isn't due for a change till spring. I'll probably submit a sample for analysis. I do tend to drive on the right side of the tach after a proper warm up.

I'm glad to see you got good protection from Pennzoil.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Short Track Racer

I'm right there with you about being happy with this Mazda 2.0L engine. It uses zero oil, and I've found almost nothing related to internal issues being reported online. We also have a 2011 Kia Forte with a 2.4L port injected engine that's had a history similar to the 3i. I'm really not looking forward to the inevitable day when these 2 vehicles need to be replaced, because it seems that just about everything being produced these days is direct injected and/or turbo, and I have a strong personal bias against those technologies. Likely wishful thinking, but perhaps EV will turn the corner sooner rather than later.

2011 3i 2.0 A/T 130K miles (daughter's ride which I maintain)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 02:28 PM
Bicycle Rider

The analysis even suggested 13k OCI. Well done.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 10:34 PM
Le Mans: Prototype Class

I do mine every 5,000 miles. It's probably overkill, but it makes remembering easy. Every time I come to a 5, ie 60, 65, 70, etc, it's time for an oil change.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblooms View Post
I do mine every 5,000 miles. It's probably overkill, but it makes remembering easy. Every time I come to a 5, ie 60, 65, 70, etc, it's time for an oil change.
I'm sort of the same but different; I do our cars every 10,000 miles.

2006 Acura TL 6-Speed Manual
2016 Mazda3 s GT 5-Door 6-Speed Manual
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Powertrain for 2010-2013

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page