Rear Brake Wear issues 2016 Mazda 3 - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Bicycle Rider
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 6
Rear Brake Wear issues 2016 Mazda 3

A couple years ago when the car had about 30k miles on it, I brought it in for the rear brake/emergency brake issue. The pads on the rear where almost gone which means I had a problem. They put new pads and calipers on it and now at 60k miles I am still having the same issue. They want to charge me $120 to diagnose the issue that should be covered under the same recall as before. I already diagnosed it for them. The rotors are starting to show signs of wear as well. The front brakes are about half way through their life with about 1/4" of pad left. These have 60k miles on them. The rear ones have less than 1/8" on them with half the mileage. Every car I have ever had went through 2 or three sets of brakes on the front before the back ones needed replacing. This car is the opposite. I mean Mazda has been making cars for a long time and they can't design a rear caliper that releases properly? So the question is to I make them deal with the problem or do I just get some aftermarket calipers and fix it myself. Problem is they will most likely have the same issues as the original calipers because they will most likely be rebuilts of OEM.



Any ideas here folks?


Perry
perryg114 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator
 
shipo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Posts: 1,204
Garage
Interesting; our 2016 Mazda3 has nearly 60,000 miles on the factory brakes, so I don't think OEM caliper design is the issue.

2006 Acura TL 6-Speed Manual
2016 Mazda3 s GT 5-Door 6-Speed Manual
shipo is online now  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 09:30 PM
Le Mans: Prototype Class
 
GerryBuc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Mundelein, IL
Posts: 2,277
I just had my rears done at 40k. Sliders were hanging up. Couldn't say if it was part of the greater problem with the rear brakes. I did find out, however that rear brakes for a japan built car are almost double what it would be for a Mexico built car.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
GerryBuc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator
 
shipo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Posts: 1,204
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryBuc View Post
I just had my rears done at 40k. Sliders were hanging up. Couldn't say if it was part of the greater problem with the rear brakes. I did find out, however that rear brakes for a japan built car are almost double what it would be for a Mexico built car.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Interesting, we have a Japanese built Mazda3.

2006 Acura TL 6-Speed Manual
2016 Mazda3 s GT 5-Door 6-Speed Manual
shipo is online now  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 10:01 AM
Le Mans: Prototype Class
 
GerryBuc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Mundelein, IL
Posts: 2,277
I was surprised. Had I not brought it up, I would have wound up with the wrong parts. Seems parts catalogs defer to Mexico built cars. Shields up, guys!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
GerryBuc is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 10:40 AM
Short Track Racer
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
... that should be covered under the same recall
It might help if you posted the recall, or a link to it. Sometimes they contain information which identifies the exact problem (or at least what they think it is).

2011 3i 2.0 A/T 145K miles
m3iguy is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Bicycle Rider
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 6
Recall is 1217F but it won't let me post a link. For some reason I can't change my password to something I can remember.


This doubled the pad life from 20k miles to 40 k miles but still that is not right. I think there is a design flaw. Might be something simple as the cable is too tight. Mine was made in Mexico and the build quality is not as good as my wife's CX5 Japanese made car. The pads are pretty thin when new compared to the front and that could be some of the issue. I don't think so because the rotors are starting to get a lip on them which indicates excessive wear. The brakes could also be equalized with too much going to the rear. I have been driving FWD 4 bangers for 30 yrs and never have I seen this.



Perry
perryg114 is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator
 
shipo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Posts: 1,204
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Recall is 1217F but it won't let me post a link. For some reason I can't change my password to something I can remember.


This doubled the pad life from 20k miles to 40 k miles but still that is not right. I think there is a design flaw. Might be something simple as the cable is too tight. Mine was made in Mexico and the build quality is not as good as my wife's CX5 Japanese made car. The pads are pretty thin when new compared to the front and that could be some of the issue. I don't think so because the rotors are starting to get a lip on them which indicates excessive wear. The brakes could also be equalized with too much going to the rear. I have been driving FWD 4 bangers for 30 yrs and never have I seen this.



Perry
Well, I've been wrenching on cars from all over the world for decades, and Mazda isn't the only manufacturer which is known for wearing the rear brakes out first.

2006 Acura TL 6-Speed Manual
2016 Mazda3 s GT 5-Door 6-Speed Manual
shipo is online now  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Bicycle Rider
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 6
Yes but does that mean others have made the same mistakes as Mazda or are they using the same brake parts. Is there a fix for the problem? Aftermarket calipers etc. I put 20k miles a year on the car and I bought a new car so I don't have to wrench on it all the time. So want to fix it. Surely there must be some aftermarket calipers for the car.



Perry





Quote:
Originally Posted by shipo View Post
Well, I've been wrenching on cars from all over the world for decades, and Mazda isn't the only manufacturer which is known for wearing the rear brakes out first.
perryg114 is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator
 
shipo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Posts: 1,204
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Yes but does that mean others have made the same mistakes as Mazda or are they using the same brake parts. Is there a fix for the problem? Aftermarket calipers etc. I put 20k miles a year on the car and I bought a new car so I don't have to wrench on it all the time. So want to fix it. Surely there must be some aftermarket calipers for the car.

Perry
No, no aftermarket calipers which are any different than the OEM calipers; at least not calipers which will mount to your car and give you a functional parking brake without a LOT of rework and money.

2006 Acura TL 6-Speed Manual
2016 Mazda3 s GT 5-Door 6-Speed Manual
shipo is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Suspension / Brakes

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
8