Just picked up the 2012 Fusion engine up in Indianapolis. I've read too many threads and they are all running together.
I'm going to do what you recommended and keep the 2.3 parts, my adapter plate should be here next week.
Just to keep it simple, what all needs to be swapped over, modified, and changed on this?
Let's start a list.
Things to change over from 2.3L to 2.5L.
1. Oil pan
2. Oil pick up tube
3. Timing chain cover
4. Crankshaft pulley
5. Entire belt tensioner assembly with pulley
6. Water pump pulley
7. Valve cover
8. Pilot bushing, (I got a new one with the new clutch kit) if you have a manual tranny
9. Spark plugs ( Use Mazda spark plugs, trust me!)
10. Use entire Mazda ignition components
11. Intake manifold with adapter plate
12. Oil pressure sensor
13. Head water cooling block ( You can get a new o-ring from Autozone. Part Number: 35833)
14. PCV valve with hose
15. Thermostat housing and gasket
16. Oil dipstick
17. Crankshaft sensor
18. Camshaft sensor
19. VVT solenoid connector
Things to use from Ford engine
1. VVT solenoid ( Variable Valve Timing )
2. VVT rubber bushing (May have to modify valve cover...maybe. Have a look.)
These are just off the top of my head and may not be everything. A good place to start, though. Please feel free to add on. I do like a current list with the newer engine swaps.
I am not a professional mechanic, but an experienced wrencher. These are the things that I changed over given the info obtained from various threads. Good luck!
The intake cams should be the same.
You will have to splice on the VVT solenoid connector from the Ford engine into the Mazda wiring harness.
My 2.5L engine came with the spin on oil filter set up, unlike the Mazda cartridge ( stupid, IMO), so I kept the spin on set up.
Rent the crankshaft, camshaft timing tools and watch the videos by Baxrok2 on Youtube. A must if this is your first time doing the timing on these engines. I wished I had seen it first.
By some white electrical tape and a sharpie and label everything in whatever manner makes sense to you, as you disassemble the 2.3L. Take as many pictures as you can. It will help with the reassembly.
Read the threads, watch the videos. They all help. Good luck!