2.3 to 2.5 Swap Adapter Plates - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Datsun1600
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Moped Rider
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 14
2.3 to 2.5 Swap Adapter Plates

Good afternoon all!

A little update from my last thread -

I have spoken to several of you over what to do with my dead 2.3 Mazda 3 Automatic, and after a ton of debating, I decided through good advice here to go with the 2.5 for it's much stronger bottom end and better performance. I now have a dilemma. Which intake manifold is actually the easier/better setup? I have found and purchased both the manifold adapter and the throttle body adapter on ebay by the guys who've posted here in the past.

Which is the better performing, less troublesome setup?

1. 2.3L intake with the manifold plate?

2. 2.5L intake with the throttle body plate?

My goal is not so much speed, but less trouble with throttle response and ease of driveability. I also don't want to mess with the ECU.

Thanks in advance as always!

-AV

When you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston churchill
tonyguns is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 12:17 PM
Grand Am Series
 
rickkari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Posts: 297
Garage
I just did this swap and have a thread "2004 Mazda 3 2.3 to 2.5 swap in progress". I post with pictures what I had to do to run the 2.5 Fusion manifold as well as why. The 2.3 with adapter plate is the easiest route to go. All remains stock. I was going this route until I compared the two intakes in person after I bought the 2.5 and could easily see that there is a better performance aspect by running the matching manifold so I went that route along with a 2.5 T/B off a 2009 mazda 6 from ebay- $57 dollars. Modified the Fusion purge valve to make it a two port vacuum source and all is good.

I know that the 2.3 route runs great from what I've seen posted as well as being the easiest way to go, But with other peoples experiences it isn't much tougher to go the 2.5 route and have the optimum performance. If you run a 2.5 Mazda intake you can keep everything stock and still have the performance gain. A guy on my thread did that. The only drawback is the 2.5 Mazda manifolds are pricey from what I saw.

Jesus Saves
rickkari is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Moped Rider
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickkari View Post
I just did this swap and have a thread "2004 Mazda 3 2.3 to 2.5 swap in progress". I post with pictures what I had to do to run the 2.5 Fusion manifold as well as why. The 2.3 with adapter plate is the easiest route to go. All remains stock. I was going this route until I compared the two intakes in person after I bought the 2.5 and could easily see that there is a better performance aspect by running the matching manifold so I went that route along with a 2.5 T/B off a 2009 mazda 6 from ebay- $57 dollars. Modified the Fusion purge valve to make it a two port vacuum source and all is good.

I know that the 2.3 route runs great from what I've seen posted as well as being the easiest way to go, But with other peoples experiences it isn't much tougher to go the 2.5 route and have the optimum performance. If you run a 2.5 Mazda intake you can keep everything stock and still have the performance gain. A guy on my thread did that. The only drawback is the 2.5 Mazda manifolds are pricey from what I saw.

I also liked the idea of running the newer 2.5 Mazda intake, but ran into a lack of parts in our local junk yards. I will probably start off with the 2.3L intake with the adapter plate, but would still love to hear more opinions. Whichever route I go, I'll be selling the unused adapter plate to recoup the cost a bit. Thanks for your reply!

When you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston churchill
tonyguns is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 04:16 PM
Le Mans: GT Class
 
Datsun1600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Denver, Colorado area
Posts: 502
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickkari View Post
If you run a 2.5 Mazda intake you can keep everything stock and still have the performance gain. A guy on my thread did that. The only drawback is the 2.5 Mazda manifolds are pricey from what I saw.
Tonyguns,

What year is your car?

My car: 2007 Mazda3 2.0L
Engine: 2012 Ford Fusion 2.5L
Project completed in Fall 2017

I went with the 2.5L mazda TB and IM since I was going for a no-adaptor-plate and pretty much "stock" setup. My only CEL, which is a known issue, is with the tumbler valve actuator giving a stuck open error because the 2.5L IM has an actuator that registers 0.4V when fully activated vs. the 0.2V expected. Once I swap the actuator from my old 2.0L manifold it will remove the CEL. Otherwise, it all works properly and is great to drive. Excellent gas mileage too.

2.5L Mazda IM off ebay from used.autoparts was $165 + $35 shipping. Donor vehicle unknown. Donor mileage unknown.

2.5L Mazda TB off partcycle.com from LKQ online was $63.08. Came from a 2012 CX-7 with 14k miles on it.

So, this option is pricier, with a total add of $263. But I didn't want to have to engineer anything! Not my cup of tea for my first swap.
Datsun1600 is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Moped Rider
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsun1600 View Post
Tonyguns,

What year is your car?

My car: 2007 Mazda3 2.0L
Engine: 2012 Ford Fusion 2.5L
Project completed in Fall 2017

I went with the 2.5L mazda TB and IM since I was going for a no-adaptor-plate and pretty much "stock" setup. My only CEL, which is a known issue, is with the tumbler valve actuator giving a stuck open error because the 2.5L IM has an actuator that registers 0.4V when fully activated vs. the 0.2V expected. Once I swap the actuator from my old 2.0L manifold it will remove the CEL. Otherwise, it all works properly and is great to drive. Excellent gas mileage too.

2.5L Mazda IM off ebay from used.autoparts was $165 + $35 shipping. Donor vehicle unknown. Donor mileage unknown.

2.5L Mazda TB off partcycle.com from LKQ online was $63.08. Came from a 2012 CX-7 with 14k miles on it.

So, this option is pricier, with a total add of $263. But I didn't want to have to engineer anything! Not my cup of tea for my first swap.

Thanks for the insight, I didn't know the 2.5 MAZDA intake manifold had the actuators on it like the 2.3, my car is a 2006 Mazda 3 S with a 2.3. I'm about midway through the swap at this point. I may search the junk yards this weekend for an 09-12 Mazda intake. What other Mazdas should I be on the lookout for with the same intake?

When you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston churchill
tonyguns is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 03:43 PM
Le Mans: GT Class
 
Datsun1600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Denver, Colorado area
Posts: 502
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyguns View Post
Thanks for the insight, I didn't know the 2.5 MAZDA intake manifold had the actuators on it like the 2.3, my car is a 2006 Mazda 3 S with a 2.3. I'm about midway through the swap at this point. I may search the junk yards this weekend for an 09-12 Mazda intake. What other Mazdas should I be on the lookout for with the same intake?
Here is what I used for my search criteria. I get my OEM part numbers from oemautopartz.com.

Intake Manifold (2.5L) L538-13-100C
Replaces L5Y1-13-100, L501-13-100A, L538-13-100, L538-13-100A
Fits 3S 2.5L 10-13; 5S/T/GT 2.5L 12-15; 6i 2.5L 09-13; CX-7 S/T/SV 2.5L 10-12

And in case anyone is wondering, here is TB info as a freebie.
Throttle Body (2.5L) L502-13-640B
Fits 3S 2.5L 10-13; 5S/T/GT 2.5L 12-15; 6i 2.5L 09-13; CX-7 S/T/SV 2.5L 10-12
Datsun1600 is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Moped Rider
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsun1600 View Post
Here is what I used for my search criteria. I get my OEM part numbers from oemautopartz.com.

Intake Manifold (2.5L) L538-13-100C
Replaces L5Y1-13-100, L501-13-100A, L538-13-100, L538-13-100A
Fits 3S 2.5L 10-13; 5S/T/GT 2.5L 12-15; 6i 2.5L 09-13; CX-7 S/T/SV 2.5L 10-12

And in case anyone is wondering, here is TB info as a freebie.
Throttle Body (2.5L) L502-13-640B
Fits 3S 2.5L 10-13; 5S/T/GT 2.5L 12-15; 6i 2.5L 09-13; CX-7 S/T/SV 2.5L 10-12

Man, this is GOLD! This info should be posted in the sticky for the 2.5 swap.

When you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston churchill
tonyguns is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 11:01 AM
Le Mans: GT Class
 
Datsun1600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Denver, Colorado area
Posts: 502
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyguns View Post
Man, this is GOLD! This info should be posted in the sticky for the 2.5 swap.
You're welcome! I'm just trying to share the love I was given when I went through my engine swap in the Fall.
luisitol likes this.
Datsun1600 is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:12 PM
Bicycle Rider
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsun1600 View Post
Here is what I used for my search criteria. I get my OEM part numbers from oemautopartz.com.

Intake Manifold (2.5L) L538-13-100C
Replaces L5Y1-13-100, L501-13-100A, L538-13-100, L538-13-100A
Fits 3S 2.5L 10-13; 5S/T/GT 2.5L 12-15; 6i 2.5L 09-13; CX-7 S/T/SV 2.5L 10-12

And in case anyone is wondering, here is TB info as a freebie.
Throttle Body (2.5L) L502-13-640B
Fits 3S 2.5L 10-13; 5S/T/GT 2.5L 12-15; 6i 2.5L 09-13; CX-7 S/T/SV 2.5L 10-12
So can you just swap the actuators from the 2.3IM to the 2.5? Is the TB just a direct plug in to the wiring harness on a 2007 Mazda3?
seattle_ice is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Powertrain 2004-2009 Mazda3

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Preparing for engine swap Daleg1970 Introductions 2 11-30-2017 01:39 PM
Fusion engine swap 2.3 to 2.5 Gruobn Introductions 1 03-26-2017 09:40 PM
Intake Manifold Runner Control engine light for 2.5L swap using intake adapter plate chiyama Powertrain 2004-2009 Mazda3 3 10-03-2016 09:40 PM
Engine tranny swap advice sean486 Powertrain 2004-2009 Mazda3 4 09-19-2016 07:33 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
8