How To: Mazda/Ford 2.5L Swap - Page 2 - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum
 12Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 305 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 03:39 AM
Le Mans: GT Class
 
antics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdafreek View Post
decently handy with a wrench, i work at a toyota dealership if that means anything, and as a mechanic not in sales
Dude, if you're a tech you can completely pull this off. Toyota tech or not, if you know how to work on cars you can do this. If you run into any issue there are about maybe half a dozen of us on the forum that have done it and could help you. Do it! The longer your car burns oil the higher the chance that you run into clogged cats and screwed o2 sensors.

2005 Mazda3 Hatchback
2.5l L5-VE 5 speed
Koni Orange, Eibach Pro-Kit, MS Sway Bars F/R, MS3 Exhaust


antics is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 305 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 09:03 PM
Moped Rider
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by antics View Post
Dude, if you're a tech you can completely pull this off. Toyota tech or not, if you know how to work on cars you can do this. If you run into any issue there are about maybe half a dozen of us on the forum that have done it and could help you. Do it! The longer your car burns oil the higher the chance that you run into clogged cats and screwed o2 sensors.
thank you for the push, im really tired of carrying quarts of oil and having to check the oil so often, and potentionally killing my cats which will cost me to spend unnecessary money, i just need to do more research, get the parts and figure out wnat i want to do about the tuning the ecu or leaving it alone part

im currently looking into a mazdaspeed3 front brake swap with a mazda5 rear brake swap
mazdafreek is offline  
post #13 of 305 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Go-Kart Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Sumas, WA
Posts: 80
@r2rrita . Im not too certain who all have completed this swap. I do know of a few that I reached out to when I started writing this how-to; from what ive seem (antics, zoomtictac, madmatt) are fairly active on the original swap thread. And are usually quicker than i am to respond to a question lol.

Tuning Questions: No, the tune isn't necessary.. But, there is a noticeable difference between the stock tune to the 87 tune and to a 92 tune.

Stock 2.3 tune w/ 2.5: 496km to a tank (CEL for rich at Idle P1887? or something)
87 Tune: 520km to a tank (fuel economy tune)
92 tune: 490km to a tank (spirited driving w/power baised tune) surprises me each time i put my foot into it

In my opinion, If you have the time with the ECU out of the car, send it away for the base tune, Its $99. The car will run more efficiently, and you'll have better fuel economy. (thats if you are going to keep the car)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mazdat02 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 305 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Go-Kart Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Sumas, WA
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdafreek View Post
thank you for the push, im really tired of carrying quarts of oil and having to check the oil so often, and potentionally killing my cats which will cost me to spend unnecessary money, i just need to do more research, get the parts and figure out wnat i want to do about the tuning the ecu or leaving it alone part

im currently looking into a mazdaspeed3 front brake swap with a mazda5 rear brake swap
Get the swap done before more damage progresses lol. You dont want to be checking out your cars sweet new brake setup with a blown engine parked in the driveway. Tune can always be added down the road btw


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mazdat02 is offline  
post #15 of 305 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 11:20 PM
Moped Rider
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdat02 View Post
Get the swap done before more damage progresses lol. You dont want to be checking out your cars sweet new brake setup with a blown engine parked in the driveway. Tune can always be added down the road btw
lol youre right, ive been looking through ebay and craigslist for motors and reading as much as i can, ive been trying to find the tools for timing and flywheel removal, also for the harmonic balancer delete. also for a new clutch and other stuff to do whe the engines out

ps: good links in your signature

pps: i live in cali and will need all emission systems in proper working order, would i be able to keep the egr in the 2.5 working properly so i can pass our stupid state emission laws

Last edited by mazdafreek; 12-05-2015 at 11:28 PM.
mazdafreek is offline  
post #16 of 305 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 09:09 AM
Le Mans: GT Class
 
antics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdat02 View Post
@r2rrita . Im not too certain who all have completed this swap. I do know of a few that I reached out to when I started writing this how-to; from what ive seem (antics, zoomtictac, madmatt) are fairly active on the original swap thread. And are usually quicker than i am to respond to a question lol.

Tuning Questions: No, the tune isn't necessary.. But, there is a noticeable difference between the stock tune to the 87 tune and to a 92 tune.

Stock 2.3 tune w/ 2.5: 496km to a tank (CEL for rich at Idle P1887? or something)
87 Tune: 520km to a tank (fuel economy tune)
92 tune: 490km to a tank (spirited driving w/power baised tune) surprises me each time i put my foot into it

In my opinion, If you have the time with the ECU out of the car, send it away for the base tune, Its $99. The car will run more efficiently, and you'll have better fuel economy. (thats if you are going to keep the car)
who did your tune?

2005 Mazda3 Hatchback
2.5l L5-VE 5 speed
Koni Orange, Eibach Pro-Kit, MS Sway Bars F/R, MS3 Exhaust


antics is offline  
post #17 of 305 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Go-Kart Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Sumas, WA
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by antics View Post
who did your tune?
OrangeVirus


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mazdat02 is offline  
post #18 of 305 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 07:23 PM
Le Mans: GT Class
 
antics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdat02 View Post
OrangeVirus
He only charged 99? I thought it was 429.
I've wanted to get a tune but dropping another 400 on this swap is turning me off to it. I'd rather put that 400 toward coilovers or something.

2005 Mazda3 Hatchback
2.5l L5-VE 5 speed
Koni Orange, Eibach Pro-Kit, MS Sway Bars F/R, MS3 Exhaust


antics is offline  
post #19 of 305 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Go-Kart Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Sumas, WA
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by antics View Post
He only charged 99? I thought it was 429.
I've wanted to get a tune but dropping another 400 on this swap is turning me off to it. I'd rather put that 400 toward coilovers or something.
When I was talking to him at the time of the engine swap, it would be 99 for a base tune, basically a off the shelf tune. I opted for getting the tactrix, mazdaedit software, and a personalized tune to my car. That all came out to ~$4something. My plans for the 2.5 was to turbo it initially but decided to hold off for a year or so. So I would have needed the hardware/software anyways


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mazdat02 is offline  
post #20 of 305 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 04:24 PM
Moped Rider
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 28
I am right in the middle of this swap and waiting for my engine and trans to be delivered.

I also couldn't get the driver's side axle out prior to pulling the engine. I used my 1 Ton Engine Crane that had plenty of stick to clear the rad support but I did pull the bumper skin.

Like others I bought a Ford 2.5L "A" vin engine that has 41K miles. Since my original trans has 170k miles I opted for a lower mile trans from LKQ. Since I bought the engine and trans from them I got a discount and paid less than $1k for the pair (shipped).

I've done engine and trans swaps on Subarus so I wasn't intimated tackling this job. Of course I'll re-evaluate that once the new engine arrives and I get the timing done.

So far the most difficult part was making a brace to break the crank bolt loose (I needed 2 pieces of flat stock). I finally got ahold of Milan08 and scored one of his adapter plates...I didn't want to take a chance with using silicone, etc to close any gaps between the intake and head. More to come once I get her put back together.

I forgot. ..I contacted Orangevirus about a $99 base tune and they told me they didn't offer that option. I'm going with the 2.3L ECU and 2.5L injectors as recommended by others who have done this swap successfully.

Last edited by optimusprime; 12-08-2015 at 04:30 PM.
optimusprime is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Powertrain 2004-2009 Mazda3

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



  LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazda3forums.com/61-powertrain-2004-2009-mazda3/692793-how-mazda-ford-2-5l-swap.html
Posted By For Type Date
How To: Mazda/Ford 2.5L Swap - Page 28 - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 02-06-2018 06:11 AM
Brother in law needs 2007 Mazda 3 non turbo motor Hendersonville Nc | Grassroots Motorsports | forum | This thread Refback 08-11-2017 05:46 PM
How To: Mazda/Ford 2.5L Swap - Page 2 - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 12-08-2016 02:19 AM
How To: Mazda/Ford 2.5L Swap - Page 3 - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 12-08-2016 02:19 AM
How To: Mazda/Ford 2.5L Swap - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 12-05-2016 05:52 PM
How To: Mazda/Ford 2.5L Swap - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 12-05-2016 05:39 PM
How To: Mazda/Ford 2.5L Swap - Page 2 - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 11-30-2016 11:04 AM
How To: Mazda/Ford 2.5L Swap - Page 3 - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 11-30-2016 11:04 AM
How To: Mazda/Ford 2.5L Swap - Page 19 - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 11-30-2016 11:04 AM
How To: Mazda/Ford 2.5L Swap - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 09-07-2016 08:53 PM
How To: Mazda/Ford 2.5L Swap - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 08-28-2016 08:36 PM
How To: Mazda/Ford 2.5L Swap - Page 3 - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 08-27-2016 12:41 PM
How To: Mazda/Ford 2.5L Swap - Page 16 - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 08-27-2016 12:41 PM
How To: Mazda/Ford 2.5L Swap - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 08-25-2016 07:19 PM
How To: Mazda/Ford 2.5L Swap - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 07-28-2016 11:05 PM
How To: Mazda/Ford 2.5L Swap - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 07-28-2016 11:03 PM
How To: Mazda/Ford 2.5L Swap - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 07-28-2016 08:19 PM
How To: Mazda/Ford 2.5L Swap - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum This thread Refback 06-18-2016 06:25 PM
Help with Engine swap - DFW Mazdas This thread Refback 06-06-2016 10:58 AM
FMVPerformance.com Network: The sites for all your Ford Mazda and Volvo Needs This thread Refback 10-27-2015 01:06 AM

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
07 Mazda 3 2.3L --> 06 Ford Fusion 2.3L Engine Swap zerogtravel Powertrain 2004-2009 Mazda3 9 08-15-2012 11:28 PM
MOVED: 93 Mazda Mx-3 GS with 94 Ford Probe Gt Motor Swap FOR SALE!!!! FemGearHead General Buy/Sell 0 11-28-2007 10:57 PM
ford 2.3 swap? gokart2 Modifications 4 02-21-2007 06:38 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
8