Resale Value - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Grand Am Series
 
VWandDodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 425
Resale Value

I've been searching for a second vehicle. Something to be a toy for weekend fun or maybe cross-country driving. Over the weekend, I was playing with numbers on a dealer's website and (for grins) wanted to see what kind of trade I could get for my MZ3. Don't worry, they can have my MZ3 when they can pry it from my cold, dead, hands.

2006, MZ3 Hatchback, 5-speed automatic, 180K miles. Condition: Rough

Trade-In Value: $355

Hell naw. That little car is worth its weight in gold to me

2006 Mazda 3 2.3L Hatchback 5-speed Automatic - 180K miles
I never purchase Harbor Freight tools.

Last edited by VWandDodge; 12-20-2019 at 02:20 PM.
VWandDodge is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019, 08:35 AM
Le Mans: Prototype Class
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,029
I'll never understand why people trade in vehicles instead of just selling it themselves. Selling a car is super simple, what with the advent of Craigslist and Facebook marketplace.

In the last 3 years, I've sold 2 cars, for cash, all of which I got a fair price for, and were gone in under a week.
theblooms is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator
 
shipo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Posts: 1,192
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblooms View Post
I'll never understand why people trade in vehicles instead of just selling it themselves. Selling a car is super simple, what with the advent of Craigslist and Facebook marketplace.

In the last 3 years, I've sold 2 cars, for cash, all of which I got a fair price for, and were gone in under a week.
Depending upon the state where you live, the tax laws make it quite advantageous to trade in. Why? In some states, the trade in value of the car is subtracted from the value of the new car before sales tax is calculated. Given the delta between what you can sell a car for and what you get for the same car in trade in value plus the sales tax savings can be pretty small, it makes complete sense to trade in.

2006 Acura TL 6-Speed Manual
2016 Mazda3 s GT 5-Door 6-Speed Manual
shipo is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019, 02:13 PM
Le Mans: Prototype Class
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,029
Car sales tax in my state is capped at $300. You can buy a $3,000 Civic, and the sales tax is $300. You can buy a $1,000,000 Veyron, and the sales tax is $300.
theblooms is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Grand Am Series
 
VWandDodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblooms View Post
I'll never understand why people trade in vehicles instead of just selling it themselves. Selling a car is super simple, what with the advent of Craigslist and Facebook marketplace.

In the last 3 years, I've sold 2 cars, for cash, all of which I got a fair price for, and were gone in under a week.
Sometimes, it's more advantageous to take the hit on a trade because of the tire kickers, low-ballers, and general weirdos who respond to ads on Craigslist. I'm not on Facebook, so I can't comment on what the Marketplace is like.

2006 Mazda 3 2.3L Hatchback 5-speed Automatic - 180K miles
I never purchase Harbor Freight tools.
VWandDodge is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator
 
shipo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Posts: 1,192
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblooms View Post
Car sales tax in my state is capped at $300. You can buy a $3,000 Civic, and the sales tax is $300. You can buy a $1,000,000 Veyron, and the sales tax is $300.
Then you live in a highly unusual state; maybe it makes sense in places like South Carolina, or even here in New Hamster (no sales tax at all), but even then, it is a definite maybe. We traded my wife's GTI in on her Mazda3 and easily got 95% of what we would have gotten from a Craig's List ad; definitely not worth taking time out of our busy schedules to screw around with wishy-washy buyers.

2006 Acura TL 6-Speed Manual
2016 Mazda3 s GT 5-Door 6-Speed Manual
shipo is online now  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 12:18 AM
Le Mans: Prototype Class
 
madmatt2024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblooms View Post
I'll never understand why people trade in vehicles instead of just selling it themselves. Selling a car is super simple, what with the advent of Craigslist and Facebook marketplace.

In the last 3 years, I've sold 2 cars, for cash, all of which I got a fair price for, and were gone in under a week.
It highly depends on the situation. For instance, in my area if you are selling a newer car and asking over $15K it's going to take some time to sell where as a $3K car will sell much faster. There is also the situation where the car looks nice but it's money pit and needs a lot of work, like it's using 1qt oil every 1K miles, needs cats, etc. where it's better to just dump it as a trade where they won't ask questions rather than having to describe these defects in an ad only to get lowballed on your already lowered price because of them or lying through your teeth and hoping the buyer doesn't take you to court when he figures out he's been had.

Last edited by madmatt2024; 12-21-2019 at 12:20 AM.
madmatt2024 is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 01:37 PM
Moped Rider
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Black Hills of South Dakota
Posts: 34
I have sold quite a few cars on craigslist, marketplace. I have a method that I use that has worked for me. If someone wants to look at the car I am selling I make sure that I specify time and location. In the add I tell them that I will wait X amount of minutes (usually 10) after the meeting time and if they are not there I scoot. It's my time they are wasting. This weeds out the tire kicking weirdos out there. It's amazing how many people say "I want to take a look" and then never do. What's nice about facebook marketplace is it has a review section now. You can say how "un-reliable or reliable" the person was. Kind of fun. I've had someone get mad because I reviewed them. I put a screen-shot of the conversation up so the admin could see what this douche canoe was doing. Got em booted out of the marketplace. It's a sellers market for autos every day. Location is not a limiting factor that much. All depends on where you try to reach.
Xbeaus is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator
 
shipo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Posts: 1,192
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbeaus View Post
I have sold quite a few cars on craigslist, marketplace. I have a method that I use that has worked for me. If someone wants to look at the car I am selling I make sure that I specify time and location. In the add I tell them that I will wait X amount of minutes (usually 10) after the meeting time and if they are not there I scoot. It's my time they are wasting. This weeds out the tire kicking weirdos out there. It's amazing how many people say "I want to take a look" and then never do. What's nice about facebook marketplace is it has a review section now. You can say how "un-reliable or reliable" the person was. Kind of fun. I've had someone get mad because I reviewed them. I put a screen-shot of the conversation up so the admin could see what this douche canoe was doing. Got em booted out of the marketplace. It's a sellers market for autos every day. Location is not a limiting factor that much. All depends on where you try to reach.
Many of us don't even have that much for mucking about trying to sell a car.

2006 Acura TL 6-Speed Manual
2016 Mazda3 s GT 5-Door 6-Speed Manual
shipo is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Mazda3 General Discussion > Mazda3 (Axela)

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
8