Hello, my name is Mich, I am a first time poster and I wanted to thank you in advance for your responses.
G/f has been in a major car accident recently and she is looking to get a newer car.
I have been steering her in the direction of a Mazda 3 hatchback because of the 40mpg highway rating, 8sec 0-60, and because it's the only hatchback that doesn't take a hit in the Mpg rating from the same model sedan because of great aerodynamic performance.
I drafted these questions after doing some research online, and not being able to find all the answers, I apologize if I'm asking too much information ahead of time.
So onto the questions, the first four are about the transmission
0. Not really a question. I just wanted to verify these have Timing Chains, and no requirement for changing them, am I correct?
1. I know that to get the most out of this car I should be looking for a manual 6-speed. But that's not an option,
So I need to know how reliable the 6-speed auto is. What is the life expectancy before the rebuild needs to happen?
2. Does anybody know of any major problems with the Mazda 3 automatic transmissions? I have seen a couple cases online where there were failures to shift and TCM going into limp mode, etc, but this is usually an expected problem with any automatic transmission
3. Is it a dual-clutch automatic transmission? We walked away from ford focus because of it's dual clutch issues.
4. Do the automatic transmissions only come with a six-speed? Or should I be careful to avoid 5-speed auto models if they exist,
5. Does the car have EPS or something similar? This is electrically assisted power steering, we walked away from new Corollas because they were prone to steering failures because of this technology
6. Are there any components that require more expensive service than for example toyotas? If yes, which parts should we be careful about
7. What is the estimated life expectancy of the car? i.e the point in miles at which the engine needs a major rebuild, or transmission needs to be rebuilt (probably for the second time), but it's more expensive than the value of the car.
8. Are there any other major issues or concerns I should address before shopping for a 2014 Mazda 3? Safety issues especially
9. Are 2014 Mazda 3 on the Takata Airbag Recall list? I didn't see them on the Mazda 3 website, but I don't have a VIN number to enter into recall search
10. Can anybody recommend what I should inspect more thoroughly when looking at the car at dealerships.
Thanks for all your advice,
I'm looking out for the interests and safety of the lady, so I would hope the Mazda community will help me out with some input.
I also have two friends with 2014 Mazda 3 hatchbacks and they swear by them.
Again, I apologize if I'm asking a lot of information for my first post, but this is time critical and I need to get more information asap.