Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum - View Single Post - Leasing: Pros and Cons
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 08:19 AM
winningblue
Short Track Racer

Leasing: Pros and Cons

When I graduated from university I leased my first new car, a Sunfire. I did it because the payments were cheap and I knew that I wouldn't be keeping it. I just needed something I could afford until I had saved for something better. Here's my biggest problem with leases though. A typical lease allows 20,000 kms per year. That works out to being able to drive about 56 kms a day. After 2.5 years of having the Sunfire, I was already at 70,000 kms. If I wanted to give the car back at the end of the lease, I would have had to pay 12 cents for every kilometer I was over 80,000. It would have been a lot to pay out at the end of 4 years, just to give the car back. Also, it was out of warranty, and I'd had nothing but problems with it.

So I ended up paying out a bit now, and rolling the rest into my lease for my 3. The only reason I leased again was I couldn't roll money from the Sunfire lease into a purchase of my 3. I'll probably still end up being over the 80,000 allowed kilometers at the end, but I'm more likely to keep this car.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome