Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum - View Single Post - 2011 Hard Start
Thread: 2011 Hard Start
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
IronMazda3
Bicycle Rider

2011 Hard Start

Good evening, Everyone, and thank you for welcoming me to the forums.

I have a 2011 Mazda 3, a daily driver too and from work. It's an i, and an automatic. In the last month, I've started having issues where the car will not start on the first crank, but subsequent cranks are fine until ignition (within 2-3 seconds). Seems to happen on cold starts or after sitting for several hours.

I have hooked up to a Zurich ZR-Pro scanner, and no codes are being thrown. I did find out that the upstream O2 sensor was reading way out of spec, so I changed that (big difference in how smooth the car has been running). I also changed the coil packs and spark plugs. Battery was changed in the last 3 years.

From reading numerous posts, it seems to be most people are having issues with the fuel pump relay. However, not much information on the 2010-2014 models on where it is at. Am I going in the right direction or historically is this something else? I can't see where this is a fuel pump going bad scenario, or is it? I would like to try swapping the fuel pump relay if possible.

Any insight or others who have had the issue and figured out, please let me know. I appreciate the help.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome