Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum - View Single Post - Cupping on inside of rear tires
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 10:34 PM
shipo
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblooms View Post
When I used to run el cheapo Chinesium tires, those would cup horribly. I was lucky to get 20k out of a set, and it was usually about 15k. Ever since I started running quality name brand tires like Pirelli and Michelin, the problem has pretty much disappeared.

For what it's worth, I rotate my tires front to back every 5,000 miles with every oil change.
Agreed, some tread patterns and rubber compounds cup faster/easier than others. To this point I don't think I've seen a FWD and tire combination which wouldn't eventually cup the tires, but like we've both said (or at least implied), rotate early and rotate often.

Of course, I don't always practice what I preach, I'm running Pirelli Cinturato P7s on my TL and didn't rotate until I hit the 20,000 mile mark, still perfectly quiet. My wife's Mazda3 is running General G-Max AS-05s and they are well beyond 10,000 miles without any cupping; I'll probably push them to either 15,000 or 20,000 miles before rotating them as well.

2006 Acura TL 6-Speed Manual
2016 Mazda3 s GT 5-Door 6-Speed Manual

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome