Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum - View Single Post - OEM radio AUX input question
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 06:47 PM
cclngthr
Le Mans: GT Class

Send a message via AIM to cclngthr Send a message via MSN to cclngthr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrider6 View Post
I bought an '09 Mazda3 S hatchback 2 days ago,with an OEM radio. In 2 other vehicles I have owned, I was able to put music on a USB thumb drive, plug it into the radio, and play music from my home collection through the vehicle radio.

My Mazda3 has a 3.5mm input jack in the center console. I know I can plug in a music player to that, and it will pipe the music through the car radio.

My question is: Can I get a USB to 3.5mm audio plug adapter, and play my music from a thumb drive, through the car radio? Or does the AUX input require a music player on the input end (like a phone or MP3 player)? In other words: Can the OEM car radio actually just grab MP3 songs off of a thumb drive?

My owner's manual doesn't really specify anything other than plugging in a music player to the AUX input. I just wanted to check and see if anyone else has gone through this, before I possibly waste money on an adapter that won't help me.

I do not want to plug in my phone or have to screw around with plugging in / unplugging cords, etc. I want to just plug in a USB thumb drive and leave it there, switching from radio station songs to my personal music collection with the buttons on the radio face. I can do that on my other vehicles.

Sorry for my long post (very first post here). I was just trying to include enough information to explain my situation and question adequately.
No. The aux input signal to the oem head unit is designed for an "audio" signal only, such as a headphone jack off the phone or other device. It won't accept a signal from a thumb drive or similar storage device because those require an application to read and convert the mp3 file into an audio signal. Unfortunately the 09's did not come equipped with that kind of technology.

It would be easier to have the oem deck be bluetooth capable but on those it is not.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome