Mazda3 Forums banner

questions on crank pulley - no start P0335

7K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Datsun1600 
#1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased a 2006 Mazda 3 2.3 (manual trans) that had a motor swap done before I bought it. It idled perfect but severely lacked power at higher RPMS so I suspected the timing was off and wanted to verify. I ordered a new crankshaft pulley, washers and a bolt just to make sure things were good. The new pulley I received for a (2006 2.3 Mazda 3) looked different from the one that was installed so I figured that was my problem right there... I removed the old pulley, timed everything and installed the new pulley which seemed to be the one I needed as it was lined up with the 9th tooth on my crankshaft sensor. Hooked everything back up and now the car wont start, P0335 and no spark. Both sensors are brand new, cam and crankshaft.. I even swapped out the old ones just to see as they were working before the changes. So I'm guessing maybe this isn't an 06 motor after all? any way to tell for sure?

The original pulley I removed is the first uploaded image and it has multiple gaps in the teeth, the new pulley (second upload) only has 1 single gap and is supposed to be the correct one for my year according to the parts store.. hoping for some insight from the mazda gurus here. Thanks!

Car was also throwing P0016 (correlation between cam/crank sensors) before I began which is why I replaced both sensors and started digging deeper.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
#5 · (Edited)
Installed the old crankshaft pulley and timed everything, also left the new sensors in and it fires right up. Idle is great and its driving better than it ever has. Thanks for the help! Only strange part was with all the timing tools in and 8mm bolt in the pulley it puts the 5th tooth right in the middle of the sensor instead of the 4th, not sure why.

#6 ·
it puts the 5th tooth right in the middle of the sensor instead of the 4th, not sure why.
It's supposed to be the 5th tooth. Glad to see that your car is up and running after putting in the original crankshaft pulley! Enjoy your car with the new engine.

#8 · (Edited)
2006 Mazda 3 - 2.5L Ford Fusion Engine Swap

Above is the main page that I should have added as another link. The owner wanted to use the Ford timing cover and serpentine belt setup. This means he didn't need the Mazda crank pulley with an "extra" track for the A/C belt.

So, no stretch-to-fit A/C belt, and just one long serpentine belt with a tensioner. I mean, that's nice and all, but you end up relocating both the alternator and the A/C compressor. I wanted my engine to still look like a stock Mazda engine, so I just basically used the long block.

It also allowed him to use the Ford oil pan with its extra capacity.

edit: This particular web page was created by Tripwire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.