Mazda3 Forums banner

Noise when idling in neutral but goes away when press clutch in

12K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  SurferSandman 
#1 ·
Hey so I just bought my used Mazda 3 a month ago and its a 2007 2.0L sedan. The clutch went out soon after so I got it replaced it with the exedy oem one. The shop said they replaced everything that came with the clutch kit which I guess is the clutch disk, pressure plate, and throwout bearing. Also they machined the flywheel. Since then the clutch has been great and no more slipping! But yesterday when I had the A/C on and no radio I could hear this quiet whirring or belt noise coming from the front, and the odd thing is that when I press the clutch down it goes away. So I turned the A/C off and the noise was still there but very quiet and same thing when I pressed the clutch it goes away. Its a very quiet noise and maybe is been there the whole time? You have to turn the radio off to hear it. I've done some research and some people are saying throwout bearing and some say input shaft bearing and some say its just normal gear box noise. Any ideas? (Noise only happens when car is at stand still in idle and in neutral with clutch pedal not press in)

#5 ·
I would take it back and show them the issue. Sometimes parts are defective. If that's the case the shop can file a labor claim along with the warranty and it won't cost you anything to get it fixed. Heck, even if they did the repair wrong you shouldn't have to pay to get it fixed.

#6 ·
Whirring sound, very quiet, radio drowns it out, goes away when you press in the clutch, only while stopped. Sounds like you can hear your trans free-wheeling. My Miata did that. Mostly only noticed at night - it had to be THAT quiet everywhere around me, but I could still hear it. And that was with RP synthetic.

But in the interest of science, and that someone else worked on your car, and people have too much pride and lie more than they should....

Do you have to press the clutch in all the way for the noise to stop? In my experience, throwout bearing noise should stop/change with slight pressure on the pedal. If you have to push it all the way in, such that the clutch is completely disengaged from the flywheel, I'll bet on it being your input shaft bearing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.