PCM Replacement on 2010 Mazda 3 - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
Anattar
Bicycle Rider

Default PCM Replacement on 2010 Mazda 3

I tried posting in electronics and I'm not sure why I'm being denied. Forgive me if this is an inappropriate place to post.

My car's check light engine is on. While driving, the skid lights may go on. If those lights go on, the performance of the car changes. It doesn't accelerate as quickly as it usually does. After the skid lights come on, any and all my other engine lights may come on and off randomly mostly when i coast, like when i take my foot of the gas to slow down to a stop. When my foot is off the gas, the RPM and MPH gauge will move up and down wildly or go straight to zero.

Mazda says i need to replace my PCM. 180 for diagnostic, 1000 for a new pcm, and 500 for labor. its covered by warranty, but i'm confused as to why this is even happening. i don't mind paying for new tires, spark plugs, or oil change because those things get old or worn down. but the pcm seems well protected, doesn't move, and doesn't require much maintenance correct?

in short, should my warranty have to cover this? did i receive a bad pcm to begin with? any thoughts would be appreciated.
Anattar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
philrab

First of all, if you're under warranty, they damned sure should eat that cost.

Secondly, it's hard to say not being there, but I'd suspect an issue with a wheel speed sensor is causing your traction control to pitch a fit (not familiar with the 2010's as I have a 1st gen). If it's an auto trans, possibly a sensor in there.

Let's start with the basics. auto or manual, engine size, mileage, any relavent history. bought new, or used?
2007 Phantom Purple hatch; JBR RMM/busihgs/shifter plate, Koni STR.t's, Michelin Pilot AS3's, Spin on oil filter conversion, stubby antenna, Kenwood KDC-X997 hu + Sundown Audio SA12 + Infinity speakers + JL 320.4 amp, debadged and door edge guards removed, Lamin-X + indy fog mod, aluminum AC knobs, DIY SRI, TRS 5000K HIDs, more coming.
Build Thread: http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=461273

Newb Thread: please read this!!!http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=514330
philrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
Anattar
Bicycle Rider

Thanks. I'll answer what I know: It's an automatic, has 54,000 miles on it, and I bought it new in 2010. It's not just the skid lights, but all the lights will turn on and off, including the car immobilizer light. It's literally like a light show on my dashboard. If the car immobilizer light goes on before I turn off my car, my car WILL NOT START again. I'll have to try 5-20 times to get it working again.

I've had no problems with it and have never been in an accident. Prior to taking it to the dealership, I had a mechanic who I trust look at it. He said he couldn't find anything at all wrong with the car and that it's probably the computer. He mentioned that it's really strange that the computer would start malfunctioning after only 3 years.

Are PCMs suppose to last longer? How do they even break? I wonder because if I ever buy a new car again, the quality of the PCM is something I'll have to think about. Again, any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Anattar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
philrab

If everything is acting up, I'd actually check your electrical system before you go any further. Load test on the alternator and battery, and verify all grounds.

Your ECU and BCM/body control module run different functions in the car. Highly unlikely you'd have both fail at the same time.

While I'm thinking about it, you haven't recently had any AC work done or cabin air filters replaced. If the passenger junction box has had anything unplugged recently and its not fully seated, that'll cause all kinds if weird stuff. Then again, so will bad grounds.

Sent from my iPhone with Tapatalk.
2007 Phantom Purple hatch; JBR RMM/busihgs/shifter plate, Koni STR.t's, Michelin Pilot AS3's, Spin on oil filter conversion, stubby antenna, Kenwood KDC-X997 hu + Sundown Audio SA12 + Infinity speakers + JL 320.4 amp, debadged and door edge guards removed, Lamin-X + indy fog mod, aluminum AC knobs, DIY SRI, TRS 5000K HIDs, more coming.
Build Thread: http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=461273

Newb Thread: please read this!!!http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=514330
philrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:21 PM   #5
AZ-520
Le Mans: GT Class

Parts fail, its under warranty, get it fixed free asap, if it is the the problem make them fix it right before the warranty is nada. If no warranty get used ecu on ebay or salvage for 200.00
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Misc > Introductions