6 speed NON-Mazdaspeed transmission swap? - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
phunky.buddha
Bicycle Rider

Default 6 speed NON-Mazdaspeed transmission swap?

Has anyone tried to swap the non-Mazdaspeed 6 speed transmissions onto the 2.0 or 2.3L engines? Most everything I'm finding while searching around the forum seems to be about putting the MS3 trans into an 04-09 car, not the new 10+ 6-speed that you can get in the MZ3 and MZ5. Are the bellhousing (or whatever you call the interface between engine and transmission) the same?
phunky.buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
Orangevirus1
Banned

they should be the same bell housing and it should work. pretty sure all MZR blocks have identical designs and bolt holes etc
Orangevirus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
dugger_8
Moderate your face

It would be how the transmission mount is placed that would need research. It might be slightly different on the 10+ from the 04-09.

And shifter cable length, and the shifter as well. They might be different between the gen 1 and gen 2 bodies.

Wagon Mafia ~~~ wM Swag ~~~ For Sale
dugger_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
DanM5
Bicycle Rider

Anyone tried this yet? I'm close to end of life on my 5 speed and would love the extra gear.
DanM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
XCNuse
Administrator

I've never seen anyone do it, I don't know why anyone would need to do it.

A lot of people make a big deal about how high RPMs you sit on the highway, well that's how the car is made, that's where it's supposed to be (welcome to low HP cars).
By adding in another gear.. it doesn't change that, you'll be at a very similar RPM, you'll jut be in another useless gear.

Don't count on it working, mount points changed.
An additional gear makes no difference, it just means more can go wrong with it.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
okellyr

Send a message via MSN to okellyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCNuse View Post
I've never seen anyone do it, I don't know why anyone would need to do it.

A lot of people make a big deal about how high RPMs you sit on the highway, well that's how the car is made, that's where it's supposed to be (welcome to low HP cars).
By adding in another gear.. it doesn't change that, you'll be at a very similar RPM, you'll jut be in another useless gear.

Don't count on it working, mount points changed.
An additional gear makes no difference, it just means more can go wrong with it.
A little negative lol but I agree ... Mount points will be a pain and the gearing may actually have a negative impact + ur adding some weight .... Idk about the mz6 6speed but the ms3 6er is waaaayyyyy bigger and much heavier ( I can pick up a stock transmission and carry it no problems but a ms3 one takes 2 guys and it's heavy for both )

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

BOOSTED

http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=400303
okellyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
DanM5
Bicycle Rider

If the mount points changes then its definitely out of the question. I still would like to get lower revs on the highway. My other cars have similar weight to power ratio but turn ~2K @ 70mph the Mazda3 spins ~3K. In my opinion Mazda engineers missed the mark on gearing and if I can fix I will, just might be stuck with taller tires instead of a better spread of transmission ratios.
DanM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
XCNuse
Administrator

There's nothing wrong with being at higher revs, if you're any lower it's probably going to end up damaging the internals over the length of the vehicle more than a higher rev range.

70mph in a first generation manual in 5th is indeed 3,104 RPM
70mph with a second generation manual in 6th is 2,200 RPM

While yes it is lower, the 2.3L does not create sufficient torque to get the great MPG it already gets.

by swapping transmission sure you can get a lower RPM, but at the cost of a harder working, less MPG engine.

In basic terms.. you're bogging the engine down for no reason.
If noise is the issue, there are plenty noise cancelling products on the market that can and will certainly alleviate noise.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #9
philrab

As an example, my first gen Miata used to turn 4,000 rpm at 70. Got the fuel economy it was supposed to, and engine wear was what it should be for the miles.

Same issue exists in both cases; the engine made such paltry torque at such high RPMs, it cruises at higher rpm. I don't see an issue with it either way.

Sent from my iPhone with Tapatalk.
2007 Phantom Purple hatch; JBR RMM/busihgs/shifter plate, Koni STR.t's, Michelin Pilot AS3's, Spin on oil filter conversion, stubby antenna, Kenwood KDC-X997 hu + Sundown Audio SA12 + Infinity speakers + JL 320.4 amp, debadged and door edge guards removed, Lamin-X + indy fog mod, aluminum AC knobs, DIY SRI, TRS 5000K HIDs, more coming.
Build Thread: http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=461273

Newb Thread: please read this!!!http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=514330
philrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:45 AM   #10
verto

Send a message via MSN to verto

6th gear is nice when you live in an area where normal traffic flow is 80mph...

to each his own.

it should fit fine. just like the ms3 swap, you need to check the axles, flywheel, clutch, shifter cables...

the mount is the same. they just changed the way the tripod and frame side mount are connected, still a single bolt but also added a stud to help stop twisting.
MS CAI - F2 CBE - ACT Flywheel - ACT Clutch - ACT Pressure Plate - MS 6 Speed Trans - TWM Desert Eagle Shift Knob - MS Springs - MS Shocks - MS Rear Camber Links - Techna-fit SS Brake Lines - Hawk HPS Pads - Cosworth BSD - Ported TB - 2.0L Oil Filter Conversion - LED Door Sills - Sharkfin Antenna - 35% Tint
verto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Powertrain for 2010-2013 > Modifications