Control arm and motor mounts need replacing? - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #1
silver3i
Grand Am Series

Default Control arm and motor mount problems

went dealership for oil change.

they noticed lots of vibration in engine. (i thought i just needed new spark plugs since i'm pushing 125k on my Iridiums.)

passenger (top) motor mount is bad. he pushed on the seal and there was nothing there. $350 total.
he also said the rear (bottom) motor mount is damaged altho i dont see it. $250.

and the passenger front control arm is separating. I see the bushing damaged. $375

i said yes on the control arm ($200). labor is 1 1/2 hrs @ $108/hr.

what about the motor mounts? what happens if i dont fix it?

Last edited by silver3i; 09-03-2012 at 11:36 AM.
silver3i is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
XCNuse
Administrator

Motor mounts are super easy to do if you or a friend have tools and a jack.

You can buy an OEM passenger mount for .. I think it's around $70 or less from the dealership, and I'm not sure what the rear one OEM is at a dealership but probably also near $100

Labor time?

Well once you get the car in the air and the belly pan off, the passenger mount takes no more than 15 minutes (seriously... it's just 2 screws and 2 nuts).
Typically the passenger mount blows out around 60k, so I'm sure it's been dead for a long time and certainly would need replacing!

The rear one also shouldn't take long either, it's only two screws and a nut.

As for the control arm.. yeah, I've never done one of those, I'd leave that to the dealership.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
silver3i
Grand Am Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCNuse View Post
Motor mounts are super easy to do if you or a friend have tools and a jack.

You can buy an OEM passenger mount for .. I think it's around $70 or less from the dealership, and I'm not sure what the rear one OEM is at a dealership but probably also near $100

Labor time?

Well once you get the car in the air and the belly pan off, the passenger mount takes no more than 15 minutes (seriously... it's just 2 screws and 2 nuts).
Typically the passenger mount blows out around 60k, so I'm sure it's been dead for a long time and certainly would need replacing!

The rear one also shouldn't take long either, it's only two screws and a nut.

As for the control arm.. yeah, I've never done one of those, I'd leave that to the dealership.
for the passenger MM, why do i need the car in the air?
it can be reached from the top of the engine.

also, what happens if i dont fix the motor mounts?
it looks more like a cushion???

so the car will just vibrate a little? kindqa like permanent rough idle even in motion?

Last edited by silver3i; 09-03-2012 at 12:02 PM.
silver3i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
XCNuse
Administrator

well.. okay I guess you don't have to lol, my car is to low to fit a jack under it, but for the rear you'll probably have to have the car raised up and then need a nice big 2x4 to move the engine (and certainly will need help)

I'm not sure what worst case scenario is of them not being replaced and I'd hate to find out... and for the low cost of replacing it yourself there is no need to not replace them.

Worst case scenario would be something breaks.. and I'd hate to find out what the consequences of that are.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
arsprod
Grand Am Series

You can drive with blown passenger mount forever. I didn't even check mine until I got really bad wheel hop under 'sprited' driving (I was at the track). Rear mount I'm not sure, but given its design I imagine you'd start to get some clunking. If you don't drive hard you might be good. But, given that both are really easy to replace (especially with all the walk throughs on this forum) seems like not doing it would just be... well, lazy!
Old 09-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #6
silver3i
Grand Am Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsprod View Post
You can drive with blown passenger mount forever. I didn't even check mine until I got really bad wheel hop under 'sprited' driving (I was at the track). Rear mount I'm not sure, but given its design I imagine you'd start to get some clunking. If you don't drive hard you might be good. But, given that both are really easy to replace (especially with all the walk throughs on this forum) seems like not doing it would just be... well, lazy!
thx!

what would have happened if i didnt replace the control arm bushing (which is separating)?
Old 09-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #7
XCNuse
Administrator

Steering would go to shit, your tires would get destroyed and .. actual bad things would happen lol

You SERIOUSLY shouldn't be considering not fixing these things; motor mounts and control arm bushings are MAJOR components of a car.

Seriously think about it.. motor mounts hold the motor in place.. surely that is important right..?
Control arm bushings.. even the word control arm gives you some direction that it's important on a car.. right?

You can replace all of this yourself for a few hundred bucks (although i wouldn't want to do the bushing myself), and can extend the life of your car, and if you sell it it will raise the value considerably.

That or let them deteriorate, your motor clunk out of place, torque something, twist something else, control arm bushing fall apart and the control arm itself bend out of place, you swerve off of a highway at speed taking a few people with you and .. well.. all for saving a few hundred bucks? Not anymore...
(Would that honestly happen? Probably not... but it gives a fair reason why saving a few dollars on important parts.. isn't worth it)

Last edited by XCNuse; 09-03-2012 at 04:44 PM.
XCNuse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #8
d.z.
Grand Am Series

Not fixing those things is not an option. Start saving - Ramen Noodles is always an option if you are financially challenged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver3i View Post
went dealership for oil change.

they noticed lots of vibration in engine. (i thought i just needed new spark plugs since i'm pushing 125k on my Iridiums.)

passenger (top) motor mount is bad. he pushed on the seal and there was nothing there. $350 total.
he also said the rear (bottom) motor mount is damaged altho i dont see it. $250.

and the passenger front control arm is separating. I see the bushing damaged. $375

i said yes on the control arm ($200). labor is 1 1/2 hrs @ $108/hr.

what about the motor mounts? what happens if i dont fix it?
2005 Giant OCR1 (SOLD!!)
d.z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #9
silver3i
Grand Am Series

wtf.. a control arm bushing is $10?!
and the dealership charged me $200 +1.5hrs labor @$100/hr

http://parts.arlingtonmazda.com/prod...2d156B%29.html

and i didnt get any lube for my butthole
Old 09-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #10
XCNuse
Administrator

Now go do all the work yourself and yeah.. you'll save a crapload of money..
(this is ALWAYS the case)

But have fun pulling off a control arm and pushing the old bushing out and pressing the new one in place.
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Mazda3 General Discussion > Mazda3 (Axela)