2006 Mazda 3 Front Wheel Bearing Replacement, what do I need? - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
max silver
Moped Rider

Default 2006 Mazda 3 Front Wheel Bearing Replacement, what do I need?

Hello, my wife just had a front end noise diagnosed by Mazda today, and it turns out the front wheel bearings need to be replaced. They quoted over $1000 to do both bearings. After hearing the cost, I have decided to tackle this job myself to save a few bucks. This is on a 2006 Mazda 3 hatchback.

I have looked around online, and see that I can either buy a complete new hub assembly and bearing, or possibly just the 2 bearings. Which route am I likely better to go here? Am I better to go aftermarket or buy Mazda parts? The assemblies from Mazda locally in Calgary are very pricey at $177 each. I thought that I may be able to use a Timken front hub replacement, but from my research it seems like it doesn't quite work properly in this year of Mazda 3. I am aware that I will need to take the steering knuckle to a local shop to have either the bearings or hub pressed out depending which route I go.

Has anybody needed to replace the abs speed sensor? I have read that these commonly break when trying to remove them.

I am also curious what size of socket I will need to remove the axle nut.

Thanks to all those that can help.
max silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012, 03:03 AM   #2
gluehead
Moped Rider

Default Re: 2006 Mazda 3 Front Wheel Bearing Replacement, what do I need?

That's a lot to have wheel bearings replaced. I haven't changed wheel bearings but I'm in the process of replacing my cv shafts. I can help with some parts. The axle nut is a bolt on the hatchback. 13mm socket. Remove the tie rod from the hub. Remove the ball joint from the hub. 14mm socket. This is a pain. I sprayed with pb blaster and pushed down on the control arm. Still ended up not coming out so I hit the end of it with a long rod and beat it out. Helps to remove the upper sway bar link. Than you would swing it out to remove hub from axle. Both my axles came right out but I heard they can get stuck. After that it would just be the strut mount at the top and pull it down and out. That's just to remove the hub. Its a lot of work.I thought. As for the bearings I think they get pressed in but I never actually changed them. Hope this helps a little. If you can find a better quote I would pay somebody but it's doable.
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Powertrain 2004-2009 Mazda3 > Stock Issues