Rear Caliper Piston Compression Tool Size?? - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
chrislitz
Grand Am Series

Default Rear Caliper Piston Compression Tool Size??

I recently was doing the rear calipers on a 2010 3. I got to the point where you need to compress the pistons back in. I understand that you need to have something to place within the two dimples and rotate clockwise while pressing downward in order for them to go back in. I was just wondering what size tool people were using in their compression kits. The one I rented today from Advance Auto seemed to be just a little off. I think the two that were somewhat close were 1-1/4" and like 1-13/32". I have the old pads back on for now, as they still have some life on them. I was just curious what size other people out there have gotten to work. Thanks.

EDIT: The size in the Harbor Freight kit that worked perfectly was a 1-1/4" attachment.
5000K HID Low-Beams, 2500K Noyka Fogs, LED Interior/License Plate, Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs (Parking Light Delete), Independent Fog Lights, Yellow Fog Light Lamin-x, 25% Tint, TB Ground, JBR Solid Shifter Bushings, 12" Rockford Fosgate Sub with Rockford Fosgate P300-1 Amp, MS3 RSB & Endlinks
chrislitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
icspots
Super Moderator

Default Re: Rear Caliper Piston Compression Tool Size??

I'm not sure on the exact sizing on the tool I have. I bought the Harbor Freight caliper set #40732. It came with a bunch of adapters, however the nubs on the tool itself fit the caliper piston perfectly and I've never needed any of the adapters thus far. I looked through the manual and couldn't find any actual sizes for the different adapters, just numbers 1-8.
icspots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
chrislitz
Grand Am Series

Quote:
I'm not sure on the exact sizing on the tool I have. I bought the Harbor Freight caliper set #40732. It came with a bunch of adapters, however the nubs on the tool itself fit the caliper piston perfectly and I've never needed any of the adapters thus far. I looked through the manual and couldn't find any actual sizes for the different adapters, just numbers 1-8.
Yeah, I have seen a lot of people had some luck with the Harbor Freight set. I think the one on the one I rented almost fit with the nubs that were on the tool itself. I guess my question to you is did it fit like a glove or was there a little play with the nubs fitting into the piston? The one I rented would fit about 85%, if that makes sense. It wouldn't sit flush. Thanks.
5000K HID Low-Beams, 2500K Noyka Fogs, LED Interior/License Plate, Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs (Parking Light Delete), Independent Fog Lights, Yellow Fog Light Lamin-x, 25% Tint, TB Ground, JBR Solid Shifter Bushings, 12" Rockford Fosgate Sub with Rockford Fosgate P300-1 Amp, MS3 RSB & Endlinks
Old 07-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #4
222speed3
Grand Am Series

Think you need da cube man.

http://www.amazon.com/CTA-Disk-Brake.../dp/B0007N1ZZO

I picked one up local. Think most local auto shops carry it.

Saw somewhere it works on our rear caliper pistons.

Have only done front so far so not exactly sure yet.

I paid like 5 bucks for this thing at the auto store.
222speed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
icspots
Super Moderator

[quote author=chrislitz link=topic=211349.msg4247419#msg4247419 date=1341782799]

Yeah, I have seen a lot of people had some luck with the Harbor Freight set. I think the one on the one I rented almost fit with the nubs that were on the tool itself. I guess my question to you is did it fit like a glove or was there a little play with the nubs fitting into the piston? The one I rented would fit about 85%, if that makes sense. It wouldn't sit flush. Thanks.
[/quote]

The very first time I used it it didn't quite fit until I sort of wiggled it into place. It was like the nubs were nearly the exact same size as the holes on the piston. I was able to work it into place without too much trouble though. So I'd say "like a glove" is an apt description.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Speed3

The cube would work, however you'd still be supplying all of the force to compress the piston. Granted it would be easier with this to push with one hand while turning your ratchet (or breaker bar) with the other than with using pliers, but the beauty of the caliper compression tool (assuming it fits of course) is that it turns and compresses for you.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #6
chrislitz
Grand Am Series

Quote:

Yeah, I saw the cube but for the reasons that icspots aid, mainly the amount of force needed to do the job, I was trying to lean toward the compression tool. I think that with a piece that fits in the actual piston dimples, not like the one I tried that was justtt too big, that the piston compressor would be ideal. I tried with the needle nose and put a lot of force down while going clockwise with it, but it didn't budge at all.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
icspots
Super Moderator

Yeah the amount of force to compress it is silly. On one side the pad had worn down so far that the compression tool wouldn't fit inside (or rather the bracket that goes inside the caliper wouldn't fit) so I had to hand compress it about six turns to get it in enough to fit the tool. Just on the one side, and just for a small amount of travel, but dear god was it a PITA to do.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
chrislitz
Grand Am Series

From doing a little searching on Harbor Freight's site, I came up with this online manual:

http://manuals.harborfreight.com/man...9999/69053.pdf

On that manual it states that Mazda uses Part 4, a 1-1/4" No Pin Disc (Despite the picture at the top seeming to have pins??). This does not seem right, since we all know there needs to be pins to grip the dimples in the piston. Then there is Part M, which is a 1-1/4" 2-Pin Disc for Fords. This seems much more likely, as it is the same size and it actually has pins. I believe our calipers are FoMoCo as well. Does this seem to be pretty promising? Just not trying to throw $35 bucks out there and be disappointed again.

Quote:
Yeah the amount of force to compress it is silly. On one side the pad had worn down so far that the compression tool wouldn't fit inside (or rather the bracket that goes inside the caliper wouldn't fit) so I had to hand compress it about six turns to get it in enough to fit the tool. Just on the one side, and just for a small amount of travel, but dear god was it a PITA to do.
And yeah, I can imagine the pressure you need to put down in order to move that thing in.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:20 PM   #9
chrislitz
Grand Am Series

Just wanted to check back in with an update on this. Since I had trouble before compressing the piston, I kept the old pads in there for a week or so. Just got some time today to work on it again, and with the caliper compression tool kit from Harbor Freight. This one:
http://www.harborfreight.com/18-piec...kit-69053.html

Unlike the older model kit they had, the tool itself did not have the nubs to fit the piston. Ironically, it was the component piece marked "M". Fit like a glove, none of that wobbling "sorta" fit like I had with the kit I rented from Advance Auto. Went about my business the same way and the caliper compressed without any trouble (also had the reservoir cap open). Tool did all of the work for me. The entire job from jacking the car up to the time it was back on the ground took 1 hour only. This is just in case anyone was wondering about fitment of the Harbor Freight kit. Thanks for all the help everyone as well.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #10
icspots
Super Moderator

Yup, the HF kit was work the <$20 I spent at the time. Of course HF was also around the corner from my house so that was a plus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Suspension / Brakes > Suspension / Brakes Technical Information, FAQ's, How-To's