Persistent P0441 - Please help! - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
codyds
Moped Rider

Default Persistent P0441 - Please help!

I've had the CEL P0441 for about 2 weeks now. When it first came on and I read the code, I ordered a new purge valve. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2425852.

A few days later it came in, I installed it and reset the light. About 3 days later the light came back on. I realized that I had failed to secure the hose on the back end of the purge valve properly (forgot to reattach the clamp, dumb move) and it had popped off. I installed the hose and clamped it properly and reset the light. Two engine startups later, the light came back on. Reset it again and I bought a new, Stant gas cap and installed it the next morning. On the next startup, the light appeared again within a few minutes. I reset the light again thinking it may have been persistent from clearing it before the new cap was installed, but the light returned the same day.

Recently I have also been fighting a very slight rough idle that was alleviated a bit by removing and cleaning the throttle body and the MAF sensor. I have also grounded the throttle body (just last night) to help with that issue. I also replaced my thermostat about 2 months ago.

I gave you the recent maintenance in case something could have triggered this, but I doubt it. What is my next course of action? Replacing the EVAP canister? I need to have this fixed in the next month or two, as my car will be due for inspection. Thanks!

Old 04-18-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
TEKWATCH

Send a message via AIM to TEKWATCH Send a message via Yahoo to TEKWATCH
Default Re: Persistent P0441 - Please help!

Have you cleaned the MAF sensor ? That is how I cleared the codes.

I also would do a hard reset since you replaced things and did the grounding.

Dissconnect the negative battery cable for 10 minutes.
Hook it back up.
Turn the key to the first position( do not start ) wait for 2 minutes.
Turn the car back off for 1 minute.
Now crank the car and let it idle for a few minutes.

Hope that helps.

Do you have an aftermarket intake ? sometimes that causes it as well.

I clean my MAF and throttle bottle every few months just as a precaution.

[b]Cardomain
TEKWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
codyds
Moped Rider

Yes, MAF and throttle body were cleaned less than 1000 miles ago and the last reset was a hard reset using the same method you mentioned. No aftermarket intake or anything else, stock straight down the line.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:32 PM   #4
TEKWATCH

Send a message via AIM to TEKWATCH Send a message via Yahoo to TEKWATCH

Well I was no help.

I have a scan code reader that clears codes, thats all I hadf to do last time.
I have not had a code in over 5 months now.

I hope someone else can help.

[b]Cardomain
TEKWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:40 AM   #5
john_in_the_lbc

maybe check the wiring for the purge valve, make sure the connections are good.
p0443 is the closest thing. i didn't find P0441.
2006 Whitewater Pearl Mazda 3 S GT Hatch: Garage Vary Valiant Lip, Grill and Eyelids : Custom JL/Alpine Audio : MazdaSpeed Accessory Springs and Swaybars : JDM MazdaSpeed Strut Bar : Koni Yellows : 5Zigen Pro Racer zr520 : Continental ExtremeContact DW : Buddy Club Condenser : XE Pedals : Black Rays Lugs : HP Tint : Stubby :
My car thread http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.ph...857#msg1872857
john_in_the_lbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
codyds
Moped Rider

Here is the info, besides the forums here, that I am going off for the code: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0441

What is the best way to test the connection? I know it should require a circuit tester, but I've never used one, only seen them used. Tips?
Old 04-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #7
codyds
Moped Rider

More info...

I have voltage coming out of the wiring harness, so I reseated it back to the purge valve. Both before doing this and after, I put the car in neutral and revved it between 2-3k for several minutes. While doing this I had the line from the purge valve to the canister disconnected and I felt no suction from the purge valve. I read that after the car is warm and your revs are up, you should feel suction. Is this true? I'm gonna be up against a deadline for inspection soon...
Old 04-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #8
codyds
Moped Rider

[quote author=codyds link=topic=209473.msg4220143#msg4220143 date=1334880931]
More info...

I have voltage coming out of the wiring harness, so I reseated it back to the purge valve. Both before doing this and after, I put the car in neutral and revved it between 2-3k for several minutes. While doing this I had the line from the purge valve to the canister disconnected and I felt no suction from the purge valve. I read that after the car is warm and your revs are up, you should feel suction. Is this true? I'm gonna be up against a deadline for inspection soon...
[/quote]

When I say I have voltage coming out, I only have voltage from one pin. My test unit only measures from 6-12v, and the other should have less than 6v I believe so it wouldn't register for me. I've read that amperage is actually what is turning the purge valve on and off, is this true?
Old 04-24-2012, 09:05 AM   #9
codyds
Moped Rider

Bump...
Old 05-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #10
codyds
Moped Rider

Fixed! In case anyone encounters this thread and is curious as to how I resolved the issue, it was a faulty, brand new, replacement Dorman purge valve. When it was powered "on" the valve would not open, thus it could not purge.

For reference, you can test your purge valve by grounding the right side of the valve (as you are looking it while it is installed on the car with the connector on the top) and running power directly from the battery (+) to the left side of the valve. You should hear/feel a clicking in the valve. This does not always mean it is working. My faulty valve had a click, but it was noticeably softer than the old part (which was bad because the seal inside had dried up, typical cause of failure). To test, I tried to blow air through it (from the back to the front) while it was "on" with no luck, indicating that the valve was not opening. The old valve and now my NEW replacement would allow air to flow through while powered on. Luckily, I didn't buy any other parts to replace before I figured this out. Hopefully nobody else has the same issue!

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Powertrain 2004-2009 Mazda3