leak detection pump - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
gluehead
Moped Rider

Default leak detection pump

has anybody inspected, cleaned or replaced anything to do with the leak detection pump. there is very little information on here or anywhere. i have the manual and it doesnt mention this part or the trouble code p2404. its sounds like bigfoot, i heard it exists but cant find much about it lol. ive read alot about what they do and how they work but nothing about servicing it. i have a code 2404 popping up and cant find info on it. wont pass emmisions. anybody who has worked on this please reply. why does the manual not have this code listed or maybe i cant find it. thanks
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
AZ-520
Le Mans: GT Class

Default Re: leak detection pump

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...-What-the-heck!
Old 04-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
gluehead
Moped Rider

Thanks for the link but there is an attachment of a diagram in there that don't work. Can you openthat diagram.? Also if it was the gas cap, wouldn't a code come up for a leak instead, meaning it detected a leak. There are codes for that. I guess im going to have to do some digging on the car to find out how to get to this thing
Old 04-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #4
AZ-520

I don't have much personal experience with this, just did a google on it, sounds like a pain, good luck with it
Old 04-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #5
vanatta251
Short Track Racer

Send a message via AIM to vanatta251

A loose or broken gas cap would throw a &quot;gross leak/no flow &quot; code. Usually the only thing to do is to replace the pump.

[Visual Garage] [Auto Lumination] [TWM Performance] [CorkSport CBE][Sirius] [Injen CAI] [LED eyebrows] [Eibach Pro-kit]
vanatta251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #6
gluehead
Moped Rider

thats what i thought about the gas cap. i was looking for how to replace the pump and where it is. i think i located it but not sure if i have the right part located. i was told its above the rear crossmember
Old 04-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
gluehead
Moped Rider

i found the leak detection pump filter and cleaned it. for others asking about it like i was, its located behind the rear tire under the panel that comes off. remove the right rear tire and you will see the panel. my filter was dirty but not where it would restrict flow but i cleaned it and reinstalled. i removed my neg. battery cable to reset the codes. check engine light out for now. found that it only works when the car in off for 4 hours before it tries to detect a leak. not sure how often so i will wait and see. if it comes back on im going to replace the pump.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:22 PM   #8
AZ-520

Good info, and good luck!
Old 04-11-2012, 01:49 PM   #9
lyongrl
Moped Rider

FYI - There is a TSB out about this problem. It may be covered by your warranty...

Emissions - MIL ON/DTC P2404 Set

Bulletin No: 01-043/09

Last Issued; 10/05/2009

Subject:
MIL ON WITH DTC P2404

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2004-2007 Mazda3 vehicles (including Mazdaspeed3)
with VINS lower than JM1BK******645876 (produced before October 2, 2006)

DESCRIPTION

Some vehicles may experience the MIL on with DTC P2404 (EVAP system leak detection pump sensor circuit malfunction), but diagnostics show no problem can be found. Improper sealing of the leak detection pump (LDP) change over valve causes low output electrical current. As a result, the PCM determines a malfunction of the LDP sensor.

Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.

REPAIR PROCEDURE

1. Verify customer concern.

2. Check for the following and repair if necessary:

- Clogged EVAP system air filter

- Bent or pinched EVAP hoses

- No continuity in wiring between PCM and LDP.

3. Remove the LPD and perform air flow inspection and resistance inspection. Refer to MS3 online instructions or Workshop manual section 01-16. If any problem is found, replace the LDP.

4. Verify repair.

WARRANTY INFORMATION

NOTE: This warranty information applies only to verified customer complaints on vehicles eligible for warranty repair.

^ Non-California Emissions Warranty States - Repair will be covered under Mazda's New Vehicle Limited Warranty term (36/36).

^ California Emissions Warranty States - Repair will be covered under California Emission Defect/ Specific Parts Warranty term (84/70) for the following vehicles:

- 2004 and 2005 Mazda3 with 2.3 L

- 2007 Mazdaspeed3

^ Additional diagnostic time cannot be claimed for this repair.

lyongrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #10
gluehead
Moped Rider

Thanks for that bulletin on that. I was looking everywhere for it since I heard it was out there. I have 91000 on my 2004 and the warranty says it goes to 80000. Hope this thread will help somebody else.
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Powertrain 2004-2009 Mazda3