intake manifold - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
em3s
Bicycle Rider

Default intake manifold

Ok everyone, by now those of you who own a 2004 Mazda 3-2.3, know about the intake manifold issues with sticking and the notorious clicking annoying sound especially when the engine is cold. I had the intake manifold replaced with a new one from a Mazda dealer and unfortunately, the problem came back (wtf). With this said, can anyone tell me, out of experience, how you took care of that problem, how you got it fixed. I've seen a lot of videos of people seafoam their engines but I want to know from those who have done it, if seafoaming the engine fixed the sticking and clicking sound problem in the intake manifold permanently.
em3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
halo0
Moderator of donks

Default Re: intake manifold

halo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
em3s
Bicycle Rider

If that's your best answer, don't waste my time.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
bruingolf04
Go-Kart Driver

I've recently been experiencing this as well as a rough idle. Threw a lean code the other night and a technician friend of mine found a leak near the first injector on the left where the intake manifold meets the engine. We replaced that gasket 4-5 months ago, i'm guessing it didn't seat properly. He sprayed some type of liquid ( i think starting fluid) to find the leak and the engine definitely changed idle (assuming starting fluid would cause it to choke a little) and the gasket seemed to swell or seat better (and definitely improve idle/performance). My idle has gotten a little rougher again so i'm thinking of replacing the gasket again or seeing what else I can find. Not sure if this helps, but I would check for a vacuum leak around the manifold as well.

Hopefully someone better experienced can help us with this.

Thanks!
bruingolf04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
halo0
Moderator of donks

[quote author=em3s link=topic=204635.msg4195200#msg4195200 date=1330959526]
If that's your best answer, don't waste my time.
[/quote]

A little explanation goes a long way. This is far from an issue that "everyone knows about". Fuel injectors make a clicking sound in normal operation, so from what you said, everyone with a 3 must have this issue.
halo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #6
em3s
Bicycle Rider

I did that before and found that injector 1 had the rubber seal broken so I replaced it. After that I checked again for vacuum leaks and all was fine. It has to be some other problem.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #7
em3s
Bicycle Rider

I never said anything about the noise coming from the injectors. There is some kind of valve in the intake that sticks and makes a nasty loud clicking sound. This is common in the 3s. And yes, a lot of people have experienced this issue with their cars. There are a lot of posts about this issue in other forums out there. I've done some research but no luck fixing the problem. That is why I'm asking here. There's even a Youtube video out there.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #8
TuckerE36
Short Track Racer

Eibach Pro kit~Racing Beat F&R Sway Bars~Megan Racing Cambers~Rotora Crossdrilled and Slotted Rotors~Goodridge G-Stop Stainless Brake Lines~EBC Red Stuff Brake Pads~Yokohma S.drive Tires~Megan Racing Front Strut Bar~SU full engine mounts~AEM CAI~TB Ground~VTCS Removal~TB Coolant Bypass~BSD~PG Oil Baffle Pan~Hypertech~Shark Fin Antenna~Smoked Side Markers~Smoked Rear Reflectors~Lamin-X Yellow Fogs~Hella Yellow Fog Bulbs~Corksport LED Kit~OEM HID~TRS Clear Lenses~Color Mod

GET BIG!!!!
TuckerE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #9
potatoofdoom
Grand Am Series

Links to these things? Maybe they'll help us figure out what you are referring to?
potatoofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #10
potatoofdoom
Grand Am Series

[quote author=em3s link=topic=204635.msg4195216#msg4195216 date=1330960588]
There is some kind of valve in the intake that sticks and makes a nasty loud clicking sound.
[/quote]

What kind of valve would that be? Is it a fast tick? A slow tick? How many ticks per minute would you say?
potatoofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Powertrain 2004-2009 Mazda3