2006 Mazda 3 Touring - idle problem with AC on - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #1
HobNob
Bicycle Rider

Default 2006 Mazda 3 Touring - idle problem with AC on

My 2006 Mazda3 Touring has trouble idling with the AC on. When sitting at a red light and the AC motor cycles the idle drops the engine kinda sputters until the AC motor cycles off and then the engine kinda jerks back to normal idle, then repeats everytime the AC motor cycles which is about every 7 to 10 seconds.

Does anyone else have this problem and was able to correct it to idle smoothly again when the AC cycles? It always kinda dropped the idle when the AC motor ran even when the car was new, but now the sputtering and jerkyness is getting worse.

Does anyone have a solution to this?
HobNob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
phoenixosu
Grand Am Series

Default Re: 2006 Mazda 3 Touring - idle problem with AC on

Yea the alternator is kinda weak so when idling with the AC on it puts a lot of load on the engine so idle gets a bit funny and worst case it stalls out and needs a reset, I've never had it happen on either of my 3s but I also don't put the AC on full, from what i've read a lot of people have this issue, just search the forums or use google (site:www.mazda3forums.com)
[size=6pt]Mods: 17x7.5 rims w/ Conti DWS tires | 4 75W kicker speakers | Memphis 300W amp | full size spare | BC Condenser kit w/ extra grounds | CS SRI w/ box | timing advance | upgraded horn | CS LED kit | Axela badge | alu pedals | Momo shift knob | Alu fuel door | footwell LEDs | VTCS delete | TB coolant bypass | L fog light vent | bi-xenon HB/LB | HID fogs | SB LED turn sigs | LED DRLs | LED reverse lights | painted foglight trim | LED tail lights | LED reflectors[/size]
phoenixosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:03 AM   #3
5l1mm
Short Track Racer

well ac is a horsepower draw on the engine, and a sputter at idle is insufficient horsepower.
with these facts in mind, it is concevable that a simple tuneup might help
5l1mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
bigchieftn
Moped Rider

California emissions 2006-2007 3's have a service bulletin addressing this issue. it requires a reflash of the pcm.
bigchieftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Mazda3 General Discussion > Mazda3 (Axela)