One new TPMS sensor - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #1
robtrevino
Short Track Racer

Default One new TPMS sensor

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I couldn't find my answer after searching. See, I broke off one of my valve stems (2010 Mazda 3), and now need a new TPMS sensor. The tire shop wants to charge me 50 bucks to "Reprogram" the TPMS sensor. Is this right? Or should they program themselves? what I mean is, do you need a special tool to program that one sensor in? Or will the car pick it up automatically?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
mazda freak
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Send a message via AIM to mazda freak
Default Re: One new TPMS sensor

How much was the tpms? My work in UK at ntb, the sensors are $80 plus installation and we program it for no extra charge. (Unless its included with the bill).....but most of the time you need to reprogram it....

I can look at work to tomorrow to see if u need the tool to do it or not...for time being, just drive on it, make sure all pressure is at specs.
2.3L Turbo, 20% All around, Tinted tail-lights, Angel eyes, heon endurance fog lights, Step colder plugs (ITV22), TWM Shifter bushings, Cobb SF intake, Cobb turbo inlet, Forge Recirc Bpv, Rally armor mud flaps, Corksport dp, BC coilovers, SPC chamber arms, cp-e motor mount, cp-e fuel pump, cobb ap-Stage 2 (New rims-fmic and TUNE soon!)
mazda freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:54 PM   #3
robtrevino
Short Track Racer

I had them put in a regular valve stem for now. But they want 140 plus laborwhich is 50
Old 08-28-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
mazda freak

Eww....way overpriced...u would look around.
2.3L Turbo, 20% All around, Tinted tail-lights, Angel eyes, heon endurance fog lights, Step colder plugs (ITV22), TWM Shifter bushings, Cobb SF intake, Cobb turbo inlet, Forge Recirc Bpv, Rally armor mud flaps, Corksport dp, BC coilovers, SPC chamber arms, cp-e motor mount, cp-e fuel pump, cobb ap-Stage 2 (New rims-fmic and TUNE soon!)
Old 08-28-2011, 09:46 PM   #5
leeharvey418
Le Mans: GT Class

What's to reprogram? As long as the sensor is active (which requires at most a 30-second process with a scan tool, and most sensors don't even need that) all you should have to do is install the new sensor, and follow the standard 'TPMS reset procedure' that's been outlined on the forum 500 times...
leeharvey418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:51 PM   #6
robtrevino
Short Track Racer

yeah so that's my question. do Ineed special tools when installing a new sensor or just use the standard procedure?
Old 08-28-2011, 10:18 PM   #7
mazda freak

Most cars u need to reprogram the sensor. U can't just drive and it will go away. I do it for work, trust me. Idk about the mazdas tho

And to install a sensor, u Obv need to take the tire off....then torque to ~35-40ft lbs. And put tire back on balance.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:31 PM   #8
leeharvey418
Le Mans: GT Class

I can't imagine any possible reason why you'd need to do anything special when only replacing one sensor that you wouldn't need to do when replacing all four. As long as the sensor is awake (and every mom-and-pop tire shop should have a scan tool that's capable of waking up the sensors these days) you should be able to just do the on-off-drive ten miles routine and the car would recognize the new sensor.
leeharvey418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:00 AM   #9
mazda freak

[quote author=leeharvey418 link=topic=195574.msg4101525#msg4101525 date=1314585083]
I can't imagine any possible reason why you'd need to do anything special when only replacing one sensor that you wouldn't need to do when replacing all four. As long as the sensor is awake (and every mom-and-pop tire shop should have a scan tool that's capable of waking up the sensors these days) you should be able to just do the on-off-drive ten miles routine and the car would recognize the new sensor.
[/quote]

Yes, but most cars aren't like that...some has special ways you need to reprogram the new sensor. But try driving on it...if it doesnt go off, you kno u need to reprogram it.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:49 AM   #10
john_in_the_lbc

I am assuming the sensors are the same as earlier models.

our system is so basic (does not identify which tire is low) i don't believe any "programing" is required, other than the reset or activation procedure outlined in your owners manual.

here is the relevant portion of the service bulletin...(same instructions you will find in your owners manual).

in short, the shop is trying to rip you off, unless they just typically charge people 50 bucks to turn the key in the ignition.
i suppose it's possible the shop quoted a "typical" price and would not have charged you once they looked up the actual procedure for your specific vehicle.

entire bulletin http://www.finishlineperformance.com...4-04-1374a.pdf
2006 Whitewater Pearl Mazda 3 S GT Hatch: Garage Vary Valiant Lip, Grill and Eyelids : Custom JL/Alpine Audio : MazdaSpeed Accessory Springs and Swaybars : JDM MazdaSpeed Strut Bar : Koni Yellows : 5Zigen Pro Racer zr520 : Continental ExtremeContact DW : Buddy Club Condenser : XE Pedals : Black Rays Lugs : HP Tint : Stubby :
My car thread http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.ph...857#msg1872857
john_in_the_lbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Wheels / Tires > Wheels / Tires Technical Information, FAQ's, How-To's