installed new shocks and hearing new noise(s)... possible problems? - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:25 PM   #1
grobar
Moped Rider

Default installed new shocks and hearing new noise(s)... possible problems?

hello,
i changed the front shocks on my M3 yesterday with a friend and yesterday was a fine drive while today there are noises coming from the front that i have never heard before. i installed KYBs and changed the top plate and bearings on both shocks.
what could be the possible reason(s) for new noises. im not sure if it is still safe to drive or is it something more serious?
thank you
grobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #2
2slo4u
Moped Rider

Default Re: installed new shocks and hearing new noise(s)... possible problems?

I would double check if you tightened every bolt to factory torque specs. Without more detail of the noise or where you think its coming from, its hard to give you an answer. Did you make sure to tighten your endlinks while the front wheels where on the ground and not hanging in the air? You want to make sure to torque those down (both on the strut and the sway bar) when the car is on the ground to properly "load" the sway bar. It could also be that you didn't seat the spring correctly (on the bottom of the perch and at the top where the rubber mount/bearing is.

Check out my picture thread: http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=190866.0
2slo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
grobar
Moped Rider

i tightened all the bolts on the top plate and the middle bolt too to the max and the noise is gone. the car was indeed in the air when i tightened them the first time, so after a day the car sat down properly the bolts were a lil loose so it started making noise. thanks for the advice, rookie mistake
grobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:50 AM   #4
2slo4u
Moped Rider

No problem. I'm glad you solved your issue. It's not a bad idea to re-check and re-tighten bolts/screws a couple of days later after working on any part of your car, to make sure things are seated and tightened properly.

Check out my picture thread: http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=190866.0
Old 08-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #5
amati5
Moped Rider

[quote author=2SLO4U link=topic=194549.msg4087177#msg4087177 date=1312486769]
Did you make sure to tighten your endlinks while the front wheels where on the ground and not hanging in the air? You want to make sure to torque those down (both on the strut and the sway bar) when the car is on the ground to properly "load" the sway bar. [/quote]

How can you access to the endlinks (on the strut) with the wheels on?

Thx
amati5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:06 PM   #6
2slo4u
Moped Rider

[quote author=amati5 link=topic=194549.msg4092144#msg4092144 date=1313171652]
[quote author=2SLO4U link=topic=194549.msg4087177#msg4087177 date=1312486769]
Did you make sure to tighten your endlinks while the front wheels where on the ground and not hanging in the air? You want to make sure to torque those down (both on the strut and the sway bar) when the car is on the ground to properly "load" the sway bar. [/quote]

How can you access to the endlinks (on the strut) with the wheels on?

Thx
[/quote]

You'll want to tighten the end-link on the strut when the wheel is off to factory spec. Then put the wheel back on and lower the car back on to the ground. Lastly, squeeze under the car to torque down the end-link to the the sway bar. Be sure to do this on both sides. I.E> Jack up car on both sides in the front, take wheels off, tighten endlinks and proceed to put car back down.

It helps to have car ramps for the part when you torque the end-links onto the sway bar, if you have them. Even though the car will be raised up, the tires will still be "on the ground" loading the suspension and whatnot.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:20 PM   #7
amati5
Moped Rider

So the endlinks on the strut don't need to be loaded, just on the bar. I don't think I needed to remove the endlinks on the bar to install the struts. So I shouldn't have to bother with that end?
amati5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:03 PM   #8
rubyred3

Send a message via AIM to rubyred3

I've always tightened my endlink bolts with the car on the ground and haven't had a problem. There is no reason that you can't tighten these while the car is jacked up. Sway bars are loaded by translation of the endlink points, not rotation.

I think you are confusing control arm bushings with endlinks. This DOES matter for control arm bushings.
Leather, Sport package, Xenons, Nav., Speedline grille,Koni Yellows, and 17x7 Bronze Racing Sparco NT-R's (15.3 lbs) wrapped in 225/45-17 Dunlop Direzza Z1*/Mazda Millenia 16x6.5's wrapped in 225/50-16 Hankook Z214 C71's
rubyred3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Suspension / Brakes