TNS Relay - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:38 PM   #1
josephc04
Bicycle Rider

Default TNS Relay

I need to replace my TNS relay in my 2004 MZ3. I know that it's part of the PJB but was wondering if there was a way to swap it out without replacing the entire PJB. Also, this may be a dumb question but what does the "TNS" in TNS relay stand for?
josephc04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2011, 08:10 AM   #2
Noisy Crow
Le Mans: GT Class

Default Re: TNS Relay

The PJB relays are soldered in place. You'd have to open the PJB up, desolder the old relay and solder in a new one. But how do you know it is the relay that failed? It could be another component, for example the output transistor in the logic chip that drives the relay.

TNS = Turn aNd Signal
Noisy Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:32 AM   #3
josephc04
Bicycle Rider

When I turn on my lights, the interior lights and running lamps don't always turn on. I've narrowed it down to the PJB. Whenver I give it a smack, the relay kicks in and the lights turn on. Does that sound like a relay or transistor issue? If the transistor on the logic chip, I'm guessing thats something I can't replace without replacing the entire PJB is it?
Old 08-04-2011, 09:21 AM   #4
Noisy Crow
Le Mans: GT Class

[quote author=josephc04 link=topic=194526.msg4086763#msg4086763 date=1312461149]
When I turn on my lights, the interior lights and running lamps don't always turn on. I've narrowed it down to the PJB. Whenver I give it a smack, the relay kicks in and the lights turn on. Does that sound like a relay or transistor issue? If the transistor on the logic chip, I'm guessing thats something I can't replace without replacing the entire PJB is it?
[/quote]

Might be a bad fuse. Although yeah, I'd be suspecting the relay as well.

Logic chip: if you have to ask, you don't have the skills / knowledge to muck with it.

You can probably get a dead PJB cheap. Pull it apart and see what is involved in R&Ring the relay. Probably easy enough to do.. small soldering iron plus some soldering wick and solder.
Noisy Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:07 PM   #5
josephc04
Bicycle Rider

Looks like it's going to be a pain to do because the PJB is made up of two back to back boards soldered together with a plastic insulator between them. I'd need to separate them to remove any of the onboard relays. Not sure I'm going to bother but in case I decide to attempt it, which one is the TNS relay? There are at least 6 relays built in, I'm not sure which one is the TNS relay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Mazda3 General Discussion > Mazda3 (Axela)