Error code P2177 - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:02 PM   #1
davillan
Moped Rider

Send a message via AIM to davillan
Default Error code P2177

The check engine light came on in my 2005 MZ3 S and the code it had was P2177. I have an Injen cold air intake installed pretty much since I bought the car and never had a problem so I don't suspect this to be the issue. I cleared the code a few times and it comes back within the week. I just recently put the stock airbox back in to eliminate the Injen from being the problem, I cleared the code and within a day it popped back up. The car seems to be running fine for the most part. It starts up with no problems, idles with no problems, runs pretty darn good but at times when I try to accelerate quicker and really step on the gas pedal it feels like it loses a bit of power anywhere between 2000 RPMs and 2500 RPMs. Again, I only feel this once in a while. The check engine light will turn off on its own also, but eventually comes back on. Reading through some posts some of you have had success with replacing the Purge Control Valve.

What do you guys think? Could it be the that purge valve or possibly something else? Suggestions.
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2011, 07:18 PM   #2
ekanddsm
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Default Re: Error code P2177

look for a vacuum leak, pcv hose under the intake manifold maybe? or purge solenoid? throttle body gasket? dirty maf sensor.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
davillan
Moped Rider

I think the car is fixed!

I went ahead and replaced the purge valve and cleaned the MAF and so far after 65 miles of driving I have no check engine light. While I was in there I also grounded the throttle body and it did get rid of some of the bucking motion I was having when taking my foot off the gas while in second gear. The car runs real smooth now and the acceleration feels so much better, now I don't know if it's specific to just one thing that I did to the car last night or a combination of things but whatever it is, I like it.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:44 PM   #4
bjagow
Bicycle Rider

Check out the thread I just started:

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=193862.0

Its worth a read, as I have been down this road for some time.
bjagow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
davillan
Moped Rider

After 1000 miles, which includes a trip to Las Vegas and back from Los Angeles, car is still running fine with no CEL codes. On the down side, my AC stopped working on the way to Vegas. The unit lasted a long time. I now have159,565 miles
Old 07-31-2011, 12:56 AM   #6
deluxman
Short Track Racer

Send a message via Yahoo to deluxman

I had this code also when my car was around 59k mile and I had to take the car about 4 times to the dealer in 3 months. They first replaced the PSV and after driving 30 miles, CEL came back, then they replaced the fuel filter, then the fuel pump...but still CEL on. Lastly, I told them to replace the MAF sensor and it stopped the CEL. I have driven it for 40k miles and recently I had it back on again with P2177. This time I decided to clean the MAF sensor with the MAF sensor cleaner and it has been 3 days and so far so good. However, I discovered that in summer time, when weather is really hot outside, I would have an pinging noise in the engine when accelerating and night time when weather is cool, pinging noise goes away. I notice when I started to have this issue, that's when the CEL light is about to come up which indeed happen. I was not sure if I want to replace the PSV this time since I do not have issue at start up and idle is very good. I am not sure if maybe the oxygen sensor or what. I have stock intake except I used K&N air filter. I have used this filter for more than 70k miles.

I wonder if each cleaning of the MAF sensor, battery has to be disconnected so that the ECU will reset...any idea?
deluxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:30 AM   #7
davillan
Moped Rider

I never had any startup issues or idling issues either. It seems to me that no one really knows how to troubleshoot this error code, not even the dealers.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:32 AM   #8
deluxman
Short Track Racer

Send a message via Yahoo to deluxman

Yeah, even dealer can pin point exactly what cause the P2177 code as it can be several things... PSV, fuel filter, MAF sensor, fuel pump, Oxygen sensor etc....but what I hate is that tho, dealer will try to charge you on parts that may not even be faulty...just like trial and error. I really hate the dealers.
deluxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Powertrain 2004-2009 Mazda3