Oil Brands/Oil Change Frequency - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #1
eric_zahn
Bicycle Rider

Default Oil Brands/Oil Change Frequency

I bought my 3 new in 2010 and have been researching oil ever since. I currently use Valvoline 5w-20 Full Syn and change every 6k miles. I think the oil may be good for longer than 6k but I'm not sure so I just play it safe. I only have 14k on the car and miles are 80% highway. What do you use whether conventional, syn blend or full, how often you change, etc.? Anything along the lines of regular maintenence would be great. Thanks in advance for your input.
eric_zahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2011, 12:21 AM   #2
adumbrille
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Default Re: Oil Brands/Oil Change Frequency

I've used Royal Purple 5w-20 synthetic and Mobil 1 5w-20 Synthetic. I change every 4 thousand miles or 6 months, whichever is first since I don't drive much.

I recently put in Mobil 1 0w-20 as I found out the 2011 Mazds 3's come with it and recommend it now on the oil caps. I've gained about 2-3 mpg over the 5w-20 and also the engine revs a little freer than before. The 0w will cause less stress on the engine during start up, and since it never gets above 85 degrees here, I feel it's fine to run a slightly thinner oil. If I were in Texas or something like that, I'd stay with the 5w-20.

Only downside I've noticed is slightly more vibrations when I drive, but that's because I have removed the balance shaft and run on stiff mounts. Most likely you wouldn't notice any difference.

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=188505.0
adumbrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #3
eric_zahn
Bicycle Rider

Thanks for the reply. I was digging through the manual and it says change every 7,500. Also found from the dealer that they come from the factory with a syn. blend motor oil. I'm gonna change my current oil at 7,500 and see what it looks/feels likes and post back. thanks again
Old 07-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #4
eboord1987
Go-Kart Driver

is that really how many miles to change on a 3? I thought the general rule of thumb was 3k or maybe 4 at most. I was all worried about gettinit changed soon too haha. I have been thinking of changing over to full syn tho.
eboord1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:50 PM   #5
andjo
Le Mans: GT Class

On my car it says every 5,000 miles and I change it every 3,000 due to mix driving.

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.ph...129#msg4159129
andjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:00 PM   #6
adumbrille
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Actually the manual says every 7,500 miles OR 6 months, whichever comes first under normal driving characteristics. This is maintenance schedule 1

If any of these apply, you follow maintenance schedule 2:
Driving in dust
Lots of short distance driving
Driving using lots of braking
Driving in areas that use salt
Driving on rough and muddy roads
Driving in low speeds or excessive idling
Driving in very cold or humid climates

The bold font pertains to the conditions that affect oil life.

So if your car meets any of those points, more specifically the bold ones, the manual suggests you change every 4 months or 5 thousand miles.

I drive my car harder then 99% of the people I see on the road, so I know I'm putting more stresses on the components and fluids. Also the addition of my aftermarket parts make the engine work different/harder then from factory, so I think if you drive hard or have lots of mods you definitely should change a bit sooner. That's why I change mine every 4k or so.

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=188505.0
adumbrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:13 AM   #7
888JW
Short Track Racer

I have 3700 miles and have yet to do a oil change. On my last car I went 10k between oil changes with the same filter. I used Synpower full syn or Castrol Syntec. It was a 2006 Accord. Dont know if I have the guts to go 10k this time around with a Mazda car. Probably change every 8k with Valvoline Synpower. I do LOTs of short trips.
888JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:38 PM   #8
888JW
Short Track Racer

[quote author=eric_zahn link=topic=192999.msg4063450#msg4063450 date=1309740322]
I bought my 3 new in 2010 and have been researching oil ever since. I currently use Valvoline 5w-20 Full Syn and change every 6k miles. I think the oil may be good for longer than 6k but I'm not sure so I just play it safe. I only have 14k on the car and miles are 80% highway. What do you use whether conventional, syn blend or full, how often you change, etc.? Anything along the lines of regular maintenence would be great. Thanks in advance for your input.
[/quote]

80 Hwy and only 6k with Full Syn? Your oil has another 3-4k to go.
888JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:56 PM   #9
eric_zahn
Bicycle Rider

I figured the oil should be good for atleast 10k....my dad uses mobile 1 in his newer civic and changes every 15k! It'd be nice if there was a place u could send ur spent oil and see what percentage of life it has left. Thanks again for all the input
Old 07-11-2011, 07:04 PM   #10
Prodigal
Moped Rider

I changed to 0-20 synthetic (Amsoil initially, but Mobil1 shortly thereafter and since) the day after I bought my 2006 Mazda3 (used with 17k miles in 2007). I change just the filter, which is annoying as hell, why the 2.3L uses a cartridge instead of a spin on I'll never understand, every 3-4k miles, but only replace all the oil outright every 12 months, which rounds out to 12-18k miles depending on what my college schedule does. Even at the outside the oil has always come out looking quite clean.

I'm trading it in for a 2011 in a couple of weeks, and from what's been said here it looks like the switch to Mobil1 0-20 is a stock consideration now. Any reason I should change my current practice? The vast majority of my driving is on the highway.
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Powertrain for 2010-2013