Starter corrosion/Car won't start - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:48 PM   #1
SFOSpeed
Bicycle Rider

Default Starter corrosion/Car won't start

Does anyone have pictures of the corrosion on the S cable that goes on the starter? I wasn't able to start my car this morning and started searching the forums for starter issues. All I could find was this TSB: http://www.finishlineperformance.com...7-08-1960a.pdf

I crawled under my car to inspect it and there isn't any visible green corrosion like some others describe. I'm pretty sure my battery is ok. I measured 12.44 volts with a DMM. The repair manual says anything 12.4V or greater is good. What else could it be? HELP!! I need to get to work tomorrow!

Has the starter been known to crap out at about 40k mi? BTW I have a 2007, 2.3 hatch, MTX w/ 41K mi.
SFOSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
him
Short Track Racer

Default Re: Starter corrosion/Car won't start

just had the same issue a few months back. i don't have any pics for you but i was able to fix it by removing the connection, folding a small piece of sand paper to fit inside of clip, cleaned inside of the connection and the terminal on the starter. a little electric grease on the terminal will keep it from happening anytime soon.
him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:25 PM   #3
SFOSpeed
Bicycle Rider

I think i just flooded the engine. I had the car outside last night while I was inspecting a different issue and just started it up to pull it back in the garage. Car started right up with a big poof of smoke coming from the exhaust after I stepped on the gas pedal and turned the ignition key.
SFOSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #4
him
Short Track Racer

i also wasn't able to see corrosion anywhere until i cleaned out the inside of the clip.
him is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Powertrain 2004-2009 Mazda3