Strut replacement cost Question. - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
Mardibob
Bicycle Rider

Default Strut replacement cost Question.

Stupid question, I apologize in advance but I did read.

I took my 2007 Mazda3 hatch to the dealer to get a engine mount fixed.

The service guy mentions that my front struts are leaking and that the strut bearings are dry. He doesn't pressure me into fixing them, just tells me.

Long story short, I asked for an estimate for replacement: Struts 162/each, and strut bearing 62/each (pretty sure that doesn't include labor, but I need to ask). I thought that seemed like a high price.

I don't have tools or time to self install and I am moving/driving my car 1200 miles within 9 days.
Do I have any other options for replacing my struts/bearings that doesn't involve ordering online of parts or an overpriced dealership???

I consider significant difference if the savings is at least $100 total.
Mardibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
DrWebster

Default Re: Strut replacement cost Question.

Well, it comes down to if you're willing to use aftermarket parts, or want to stick with OEM.

The prices the dealer quoted you seem about right for OEM parts -- dealers usually quote MSRP, and $160 per front strut and $60 per bearing (also called a bushing) is correct. If you were to DIY and bought the parts from an online Mazda dealer (like finishlineperformance.com), you'd be looking at about $120 each strut and $35 per bearing.

If you're OK with aftermarket parts, you could take the car to an independent mechanic and have them quote you. I've seen aftermarket, generic front struts for the 3 in the $70-80 range, but nobody makes aftermarket strut bearings for our cars so you're stuck with OEM regardless.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
dtot
Moped Rider

[quote author=Mardibob link=topic=191255.msg4031989#msg4031989 date=1306260467]
Stupid question, I apologize in advance but I did read.

I took my 2007 Mazda3 hatch to the dealer to get a engine mount fixed.

The service guy mentions that my front struts are leaking and that the strut bearings are dry. He doesn't pressure me into fixing them, just tells me.

Long story short, I asked for an estimate for replacement: Struts 162/each, and strut bearing 62/each (pretty sure that doesn't include labor, but I need to ask). I thought that seemed like a high price.

I don't have tools or time to self install and I am moving/driving my car 1200 miles within 9 days.
Do I have any other options for replacing my struts/bearings that doesn't involve ordering online of parts or an overpriced dealership???

I consider significant difference if the savings is at least $100 total.
[/quote]

Exact same thing happened to me. #3 engine mount and right front strut. I had to pass an inspection (province transfer) and my bill was $1600, with OEM parts (both front struts replaced), labor and tax (Canada fyi).

I no longer gun it over speed bumps and avoid potholes like the motherfing plague

dtot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:14 PM   #4
h0mersimps0n
Go-Kart Driver

Right rear strut went at 39k miles

Now that warrenty gone am not looking forward to the others going as it appear they will with all you guys having problems too
h0mersimps0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
devlin222
Bicycle Rider

i just got a quote for $580 to replace both front struts and bushings/ bearings maybe you spent a day or to in york,PA
devlin222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:04 AM   #6
3dge1-4
Moped Rider

I just had my struts, strut bearings, and mounts replaced yesterday for $220 labor + $40 front wheel alignment at another place. Got my kyb struts $87 each from partsgeek.com, oem mounts $31.51 each from dealerdirectparts.com and febi (bilstein) bearings $17.94 each also from partsgeek.
3dge1-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #7
Reconfigure
Grand Am Series

I got an estimate at a Goodyear-affiliated shop here for the front two struts and the mounts (don't even know if the mounts need to be replaced anyway), and it was like $900. Fuck that.

I'm going to be replacing them myself (with help) or at another shop. That price is way too high for me right now.
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Suspension / Brakes