2007 Mazdaspeed3 Transmission Problems/Noise!!! - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:44 AM   #1
chazwik31
Moped Rider

Default 2007 Mazdaspeed3 Transmission Problems/Noise!!!

first, I've owned my 07 Speed3 for about a year now, in which I have put on about 35k miles, totaling 88k (I have a long commute). I categorize myself as a spirited driver, I have a little fun here and there but don't thrash the car. I drive for economy 95% of the time, and my commute is nothing but boring country roads, so I sit at 60-65mph in 6th almost the entire time.

Last week, I started to notice an ever-so-slight gear whine/tone in only 5th or 6th at highway speeds, it was so minimal that I dismissed it as something that was always there, just never heard it before. But, it progressively got louder, and now its to the point its just flat out obnoxious. Its a mid-toned gear whine that is more apparent on acceleration, but is very apparent on deceleration as well. The sound is identical in 5th and 6th, it changes slightly with speed, but not with gear change. For instance, 60mph in 5th sounds the same as 60mph in 6th. There is no problem getting it into those gears, so the syncros seem to be fine. But once your in 5th or 6th and let the clutch out, its super loud. Its not a grinding sound, just a mid-tone drone noise.

I have the oil changed every 4k or so, at which point all the fluids are checked and topped off.

I'm curious to see if anyone has heard of or experienced similar problems, and may give me some insight as to what is going wrong. I'd like a bit more knowledge before I drop a bunch of money to have someone tear the tranny apart only to find there was nothing wrong, and it was a simple fix. I'm super strapped for cash so I'd like to get as close to the actual problem before paying someone to tear my car apart.

thanks in advance for your help.

chazwik31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2011, 01:12 AM   #2
verto

Send a message via MSN to verto
Default Re: 2007 Mazdaspeed3 Transmission Problems/Noise!!!

check your mounts.
MS CAI - F2 CBE - ACT Flywheel - ACT Clutch - ACT Pressure Plate - MS 6 Speed Trans - TWM Desert Eagle Shift Knob - MS Springs - MS Shocks - MS Rear Camber Links - Techna-fit SS Brake Lines - Hawk HPS Pads - Cosworth BSD - Ported TB - 2.0L Oil Filter Conversion - LED Door Sills - Sharkfin Antenna - 35% Tint
verto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
chazwik31
Moped Rider

I thought of mounts as well, and none seem to be the cause. Its not a vibration noise that would be associated with a mount (I wouldn't think anyway). I would tend to believe that a mount would create noise no matter the gear, but at a certain speed/rpm combo and tend to be more intermittent, rather than the constant drone sound. Am I way off base there?

My guess is the tranny is on its way out, possibly bearings going bad or something, but am hoping that someone can make my day/month/year by telling me otherwise, saying its a common a small problem caused by tiny little demons that live in the transmission that need to be exorcised and banished or something along those lines that i could live with, but a tranny rebuild is lame.

I appreciate the note though, I'll have to inspect them further to make sure that isn't in fact the cause.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:36 PM   #4
rexseven
Le Mans: Prototype Class

What brand/weight gear oil did you use?
Old 05-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #5
chazwik31
Moped Rider

well i'm afraid I don't do it myself, purely because I don't have the space or any tools to speak of. I have a local shop service it. So, I'm not sure. I can call them up and check into that.

Does anyone think that a transmission flush would be a good place to start? Or can that cause more complications?
Old 05-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #6
rexseven

That sounds like it could be the problem. The MS3 transmission needs 75W-90 synthetic gear oil without friction modifier since dino-oils or synthetics with too much friction modifier can cause increased synchro wear. Off the top of my head, Red Line, Amsoil, and Motul all make excellent synthetics that should be gentle on your synchros. They are expensive but they last a good, long while as well (15K intervals). You might hear some noise during tight turning in a parking lot- that is the LSD. I am not bothered by it but if you are, then you may add friction modifier, but only enough to quieten the noise.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:53 PM   #7
chazwik31
Moped Rider

Sounds like a good idea, I'll have to get my car in asap and have it flushed. at this point i don't care what the tranny oil costs, its a bit cheaper than tearing it apart

i appreciate your help.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:58 PM   #8
rexseven

It's worth a shot, but be warned that the noise may not go away and the damage may already have been done. Let us know what the shop was using and how the new fluid works.
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > MazdaSpeed > MazdaSpeed3 Stock Issues