Rear Brake Caliper Tool - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
MazCan
Bicycle Rider

Default Rear Brake Caliper Tool

Hi folks, I'm looking to swap out my brake pads on my 2007 Mazda 3 - 2.0 L (non turbocharged). I'm wondering if I need a special caliper brake tool to compress the rear pistons? I'm getting conflicting information from different sources and I want to make sure I have the right tools before starting the job.

Thanks in advance,
MazCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
icspots
Super Moderator

Default Re: Rear Brake Caliper Tool

You can use a pair of needle nose pliers, however it's a big PITA. The rear pistons are designed for the caliper piston tool so it can be compressed and turned at the same time. Some auto parts stores will lend you one for free. I bought mine from harbor freight for about $18.
icspots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
verto

Send a message via MSN to verto

loosen the bleed screw and the compress real easily. you just have to bleed them after, but that's not a big deal and you should be doing that anyhow...
MS CAI - F2 CBE - ACT Flywheel - ACT Clutch - ACT Pressure Plate - MS 6 Speed Trans - TWM Desert Eagle Shift Knob - MS Springs - MS Shocks - MS Rear Camber Links - Techna-fit SS Brake Lines - Hawk HPS Pads - Cosworth BSD - Ported TB - 2.0L Oil Filter Conversion - LED Door Sills - Sharkfin Antenna - 35% Tint
verto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:34 AM   #4
IBrakeForNobody
Le Mans: Prototype Class

[quote author=icspots link=topic=189918.msg4006106#msg4006106 date=1303925689]
You can use a pair of needle nose pliers, however it's a big PITA. The rear pistons are designed for the caliper piston tool so it can be compressed and turned at the same time. Some auto parts stores will lend you one for free. I bought mine from harbor freight for about $18.
[/quote]

I got mine also from Harbor Freight, for $4.99 (on sale). I never saw them for $18.

http://www.harborfreight.com/four-wh...ool-95713.html

Might as well get one just in case. It's basically a cube that attaches to a 3/8" ratchet and it has pins that align with holes on the edge of the piston, so the piston can be screwed back in.
IBrakeForNobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:45 AM   #5
icspots
Super Moderator

[quote author=IBrakeForNobody link=topic=189918.msg4007904#msg4007904 date=1304055278]
[quote author=icspots link=topic=189918.msg4006106#msg4006106 date=1303925689]
[/quote]

I got mine also from Harbor Freight, for $4.99 (on sale). I never saw them for $18.

http://www.harborfreight.com/four-wh...ool-95713.html

Might as well get one just in case. It's basically a cube that attaches to a 3/8" ratchet and it has pins that align with holes on the edge of the piston, so the piston can be screwed back in.
[/quote]

That's not the one I got. Mine is more like this one

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-piec...kit-97143.html except mine only has a single driver vs. two. It has a bunch of adapters to work on other cars however the pins on the tool itself fit the Mazda pistons so I don't need to use any of them.
icspots is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Suspension / Brakes