Timing cams and crank shaft pully adjustment - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:33 AM   #1
tlaurent
Moped Rider

Default Timing cams and crank shaft pully adjustment

I have a Mazda 3 with 2.3, stock (Never been worked on)

Spun a connecting rod bearing, Removed the oil pan, crank measures OK to replace bearings. When I removed the head I marked the timing chain on both cams and crank shaft gear. I failed to mark the Crank shaft pully before removal.

1- Need help to line up TDC with Crank shaft pully ( How to set TDC of pistons)
2- The pistons are scared where the lifters are hitting the piston.(Could see out line of lifter on all 4 pistons, intake side)
3- Was the timing off or ????
4- Setting the crank shaft pully in the correct position with the crankshaft position sensor

I seen a older thread that:

"There is a trick with the crankshaft position sensor there is a stock position, for it. from the empty space the 9th tooth to the left dead center with the centerline of the sensor that is stock position and a piece of metal can be used to keep the cams in place also the lobes on the cylinder on the timing side of the engine need to be facing each other.

Thanks

tlaurent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
Cain

Default Re: Timing cams and crank shaft pully adjustment

This kit http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Massi...motiveQ5fTools will make this easy for you, and will increase chances that you won't destroy your engine.
If the valves scarred the pistons, then most likely the valves are bent and need to be checked.
I've seen engines overheat and cause that, and also having loose play in the timing chain could cause it.
Make sure to torque it by the exact mazda spec from the mazda manual. There is a thread on here called "torque your shit to 115ftlbs or blow your engine" where several people blew thier engines torquing to 115, but you'll see mine and pinkcheese's posts in there correcting it with the proper info.
There is a metric #6x1.25 or 1.00pitch hole at the very bottom of your timing chain cover that aligns with a little hole in the crank pulley. You stick a bolt through there and lightly tighten it to hold the pulley in its proper location, as far as the timing marks and cp sensor go.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
tlaurent
Moped Rider

So your saying that if I line the timing chain on the same teeth that I had marked previously on both cams and crank sprocket.
The timing should be correct?
Rotate engine to get cams in proper alignment with alignment timing tool.
I would need to line up the #6 bolt in crank shaft pulley to the hole in the timing chain cover and it should be correct.

I have a couple more questions:

1- Is there a intake stroke and a exist stroke?
2- Could I be 180 degrees out on timing?
3- What is the bolt torque spec for Connecting rod caps & Cam bolts?

Thanks

Old 01-02-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
pinkcheese

[quote author=tlaurent link=topic=184246.msg3896211#msg3896211 date=1293989491]
So your saying that if I line the timing chain on the same teeth that I had marked previously on both cams and crank sprocket.
The timing should be correct?
Rotate engine to get cams in proper alignment with alignment timing tool.
I would need to line up the #6 bolt in crank shaft pulley to the hole in the timing chain cover and it should be correct.

I have a couple more questions:

1- Is there a intake stroke and a exist stroke?
2- Could I be 180 degrees out on timing?
3- What is the bolt torque spec for Connecting rod caps & Cam bolts?

Thanks
[/quote]

torque on the cam bolts is 50ft/lbs
the cam lobs on the valves to the direct left should be facing eachother at an angle when timed at TDC
here is what the cams should look like at TDC, notice the lobes closest to the sprockets they can orianted two ways this is the proper way for timing at TDC
[img width=1024 height=764]http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/7964/cams037.jpg[/img]
[img width=1024 height=764]http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/5341/cams039.jpg[/img]
[img width=574 height=768]http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/2516/cams038.jpg[/img]
pinkcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #5
tlaurent
Moped Rider

I Have a couple more questions about the Cam alignment tool

Is the length of the bolt, In the rear side of the engine line the #1 piston at TDC ????
Can I do this after the oil pan is installed????
What is the torque values of the piston connecting rod bolts in the cap????

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Powertrain 2004-2009 Mazda3 > Powertrain Technical Information, FAQ's, How-To's