Both headlights burned out at the same time? - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
real_cheep
Bicycle Rider

Default Both headlights burned out at the same time?

2004 Mazda 3 5-door

I noticed last night that I couldn't see a damn thing in front of me while driving, quickly realized my headlights were burned out. With the normal headlights (low beam) on, only the foglights and orange lights (outboard) are lit. When I flip on the high beams, the foglights, orange lights, and most inboard lights are lit. The lights in the middle (I'm assuming these are the low beams) never light up.

So it would appear that both low beam lamps burned out simultaneously. Is this common? Is it possible that something's wonky in the electrical system and the lamps themselves are actually fine? Or is it more likely that one of the low beams burned out some time ago, and I just never noticed it until the second one went out?

Finally, given my current situation, do I just need to replace two bulbs? These http://amzn.com/B00318NR3U Sylvania H7 EB BP/2 12 TWIN EcoBright Headlight, Pack of 2 are only $9.99 at Amazon, would these solve my illumination problem? Is it worthwhile spending an extra $30 for Nighthawks or xenons or something like that? I'm not terribly picky or concerned about appearances when it comes to my headlights.
real_cheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2010, 09:51 PM   #2
klown
Go-Kart Driver

Default Re: Both headlights burned out at the same time?

I like xenons. Once you switch you'll never go back :P But those should work too if you really really don't care about lighting.
klown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:03 PM   #3
icspots
Super Moderator

Double check all the fuses and relays in both the PJB and the engine bay fuse box to make sure they're fine. I'm not sure off the top of my head which ones are for the headlights, but it should be listed in your owners manual.

It is possible that both lamps just burned out at the same time..... not common but possible. If all the fuses check out then get some replacement H7 lamps and install them (and/or pull your existing lamps and see if the filaments are intact).

If you're looking for new lamps I would avoid any of the silverstar or similar lamps. I've had them before and the only thing they did more of over stock cheapo lamps was in the $$ department. If you're looking to spend anything over cheap replacements then go for HIDs. Way brighter than the halogen lamps.
icspots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:26 PM   #4
silverevo05
Go-Kart Driver

+ 1 on the fuses and relays

1 maybe a bulb 2 def a fuse or relay
silverevo05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:29 AM   #5
Bicycle Rider

The headlights on my 07 Mazda 3 have burnt out 3 times in the past year, 2 sets where PIAA Xtreme white bulbs at over $100 a set it gets rather pricey. Lucky for me I kept my receipt, I took them back to the parts store and they replaced them free of charge and was told if they go again bring them back and they will continue to replace them. The parts guy said a alot of people come in with the same issue, apparently there is an issue with the wiring in that era of Mazda 3's
2217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > 2004-2009 Exterior Lighting