Testing best video file formats for Eonon D5102 - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:28 AM   #1
sina3001
Go-Kart Driver

Default Testing best video file formats for Eonon D5102

So I just got a new Eonon D5102 and I love it! Wanting to make a good sized collection of music videos, I've downloaded a lot of videos from Youtube (Using YouTube Downloader) in the native .mp4 and converting them to .avi using Boilsoft Video Converter 2.77. I've been testing LOTS of different files and formats and here's what I've found so far.
[list type=decimal]
  • Videos must be in .avi format, it will only play .mp4 if you put it them on the GPS SD card and use the other interface.

• Using the "SD Card" program, it does not like high frame rate videos AT ALL. It studdered with .avi's running at 29.97 and 30 fps. I was able to get near perfect playback with 25fps @ 1100kb/s video + 128kb/s audio @ 44100hz (stereo). A few clips still hesitated a little so I think I'll try something around: 24fps @ 950 - 1100kb/s video + 128kb/s audio @ 44100hz (stereo)

• It does not play videos in it's native resolution of 800x480, as well as anything higher, such as 1280x720. If it's a 320p or 420p video on YouTube, the resolution of the downloaded file is just fine, so leave it as is. If it's 720p or higher I've had success with scaling the resolution down to 720x480, but I'm still testing other solutions to fix some aspect ratio issues I have with some files.
  • [/list]
    I hope this helps anyone with this unit or anything similar to it. If you have any information of your own, please share!
    sina3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement

Old 10-10-2010, 05:48 AM   #2
    sina3001
    Go-Kart Driver

Default Re: Testing best video file formats for Eonon D5102

No replies?

So after more extensive testing, the settings that worked best for me were:

.avi file format, 24fps @ 950kb/s video + 128kb/s audio @ 44100hz (stereo), with a resolution of 720x480 or less. Since most YouTube clips have audio encoded at 122kb/s or less there is no loss of quality at 128kb/s and the video is clear enough to view on the in dash screen.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:07 PM   #3
    ldhertert
    Moped Rider

Do you know off the top of your head what compression method/codec you were using for the AVI creation? I downloaded Boilsoft to see what options it has, and I see XviD, MPEG4, and HD Video (not sure what that one is, maybe uncompressed...)

I'm trying to get this to work using ffmpeg (a command line converter)...and by default it used mpeg4 and the usb/sd slot said it was an invalid format. the GPS slot video player worked it.

Thanks!
    ldhertert is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-14-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
    ldhertert
    Moped Rider

Seems like xvid did the trick. If anyone is interested is using ffmpeg (Boilsoft costs $), here's the command line that I used, with Sina's settings:

ffmpeg -i input.avi -b 950k -r 24 -vcodec mpeg4 -vtag xvid -ab 128k -ar 44100 output.avi

explanation:
    -i input.avi : the input file
    -b 950k : the video bitrate
    -r 24 : the video frames per second
    -vcodec mpeg4 : the compression codec
    -vtag xvid: XviD,DivX, etc are all compression codecs that conform to the mpeg4 codec. this just forces the file to say that it was compressed with xvid (the system didn't like it with whatever the default is)
    -ab 128k: the audio bitrate
    -ar 44100: audio sampling frequency
    output.avi: the destination output file

You can get ffmpeg for windows from here: http://ffmpeg.arrozcru.org/autobuilds/
    ldhertert is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-16-2010, 11:50 PM   #5
    sina3001
    Go-Kart Driver

Yeah, I used xvid. True, Boilsoft isn't free, but I already had a full version of it on my system so that's what I used, but any program will work just fine with those settings. I've also had TV shows work at slightly higher video bitrates, but the 950 setting seems to be a good compromise between quality and file size. If you have a high quality source file, the output file will look great on the screen. I tested this with a few 720p YouTube clips (down sided to 720x480). All my videos work at these settings, but I do have one video that experiences a low frame rate part (there's a lot of movement in that scene, but the audio doesn't stutter).

I'm glad it worked for you!
    Old 10-17-2010, 12:00 AM   #6
    sina3001
    Go-Kart Driver

Opps, double post
    Old 05-14-2011, 02:59 PM   #7
    nicholasatwork
    Moped Rider

[quote author=sina3001 link=topic=180526.msg3830205#msg3830205 date=1287283833]
    Yeah, I used xvid. True, Boilsoft isn't free, but I already had a full version of it on my system so that's what I used, but any program will work just fine with those settings. I've also had TV shows work at slightly higher video bitrates, but the 950 setting seems to be a good compromise between quality and file size. If you have a high quality source file, the output file will look great on the screen. I tested this with a few 720p YouTube clips (down sided to 720x480). All my videos work at these settings, but I do have one video that experiences a low frame rate part (there's a lot of movement in that scene, but the audio doesn't stutter).

I'm glad it worked for you!
    [/quote]

hey, i use Boilsoft as well. Can i ask you what is the output frame size adjustment you have used? There are 4 options: crop, stretch to fit, preserved aspect ratio and customize.
    nicholasatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Visual / Audio > 2004-2009 Electronics Discussion