headlight adjust - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
mazda32.3s
Le Mans: GT Class

Default headlight adjust

ive had my 55w 6000k HID's in for a while and always thought the light was shot kind of low. does anyone know how to adjust the hight of the light projection? is there just a turn dial behined the headlight you can turn to adjust them or is it more complicated? Thanks
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
icspots
Super Moderator

Default Re: headlight adjust

There are three adjustment bolts on the back of the headlight covered by little white caps. Pop the cap off and give little turns until you find the height adjustment. Can't remember which one it is.
icspots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
mazda32.3s
Le Mans: GT Class

cool thanks
Old 10-03-2010, 01:33 AM   #4
say chi sin lo
F1 Driver

If your car didn't come with HID's, then the bottom most screw adjusts up and down, don't touch the other 2.
say chi sin lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:07 AM   #5
jzgilbert
Moped Rider

What are the other 2 for?
jzgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:20 AM   #6
say chi sin lo
F1 Driver

The one closest to to the turn signal controls Left/Right

The remaining one... I'm not too sure, you can use it to aim up and down, but the bottom most screw is the designated up/down screw.
say chi sin lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:51 AM   #7
fukenmexikan
Moped Rider

which way is up and down on the bottom screw you speak of and also is the little circle on headlight cover were the beam is supposed to be centered on any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

also i used that second screw for adjusting up and down and i think i turned it to much because it made a wierd sound and the beam dropped lower away from the little circle i was trying to center it on and how would i go about fixing it if i turned it too much and it slipped off the screw???

sorry for all the questions im just tired of not being able to see 10 ft in front of me at night
fukenmexikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:37 PM   #8
upashi

Send a message via Yahoo to upashi

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=15699.120

Detail is in page 5 with pic.

Center cross mark on headlight lens is indicator for headloght tester. Not indicating where your beam center should aim.

You supposed to use top 2 screw for adjust.

Did you pop clip out by aiming high at bottom adjuster?

If it sound like it, try following method,,it's not 100% fix but at least first aid attempt.

Remove high beam bulb, put finger into high beam bulb insert.
Pull reflector bowl( this will pull entire inner structure) toward back bottom of housing so poped out clip can push against rod where it need to back on.

While you are pulling reflector, turn adjuster ( bottom one) to loweing direction(if you directly turning it, it should be "turn right&quot
Clip may be able to catch rod again.

After catch the rod, turn few more to make sure clip isn't the end of rod.
Then , re-aim headlight according to ling I posted above.
upashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:27 PM   #9
fukenmexikan
Moped Rider

no i was turning the top adjustment screw and i believe it slipped off up top screw but ill give it a shot and im just curios as to were exactly the right hieght of beam should be any certian tips or tricks i should know about. thanks for any help or advice i really appreciate it
fukenmexikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:19 PM   #10
upashi

Send a message via Yahoo to upashi

Ok, so you are turning top dial to aim higher and went too much, then aim slipped down?

If that's the case, first aid try may be different way.

when you try to aim high by top UP/DOWN screw, you are pulling top clip toward back of housing, which mean opposit direction from clip fall off from the tip of adjuster rod.
So top clip went out from rod is hard case to think about.
Possible case is that you may have stripped thread( of clip since it's softish plastic), then slipped, possible went off from rod?

Normally top clip goes off rod when you try to aim low too much.

Does inner structure wiggle easy?( grabbing projector back or high beam insert to wiggle)
grab by back of projector or high beam insert to see if you can move projector unit by hand,
if it moves,
clip isn't working

If you did broke clip, only way to fix is open headlight up and replace clips.

I have few clips around if you needed in case you decided to open and try fix.

General aiming method that you can try by yourself is adjust and drive method.

This is that I posted for 2010 thread, but it saying same thing for general idea how you want to aim.
Ignore about green circle mention, it's only for 2010 model projector.

[quote author=upashi link=topic=178387.msg3776744#msg3776744 date=1282847390]
Yes, pretty much "direct straight from each headlight" is easy way of understanding. for detail, you can look up "how to aim" thread somewhere.
But unless you have headlight aiming tester, their diagram is kind of useless(not practical) information.

I usually try to aim like following pics.
Just my personal guidance though..but this is what I believe aiming diagram saying in "without tester terms"

[img width=1024 height=559]http://i34.tinypic.com/1fjkuf.jpg[/img]

top left is your basic projector's beam pattern, center of beam should be brightest and also along cut off line, good amount of light is focused.

On the wall, both elbow point height should show same height.

and right top pic, both elbow point should land on the ground within about 40m( if you want more lighted area, you can rise aiming little but more you raise, less intensisty on the road lighted area and if you can't see elbow point land on ground (at dark street), your aiming is too high.
park your car along the long wall( like back of wal-mart or something, wall is on your LEFT) you want to see your beam cut-off line going(sloping) down.
If you see your beam line and ground parallel, aim is way too high.

This is my "usual" guide for aiming, use this as reference and check yours if it's within normal range.
[/quote]

upashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > 2004-2009 Exterior Lighting