Twofer: Service Pro oil filters and over-filled oil - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
chaos
Le Mans: GT Class

Default Twofer: Service Pro oil filters and over-filled oil

I have two burning questions right now.

First of all, does anybody know anything about Service Pro oil filters, and if they're any good? In comparison to Bosch? All I could find about them is this.

Also, what are the dangers of an oil level being too high? I just had my oil change done (at a shop), got home and checked it, and damn stuff is all the way up the dip stick--about twice as high as it should be. I called them about it and I'm bringing it back in tomorrow to show them, but should I be too worried about anything between now and then?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
mazda3memelvin
Short Track Racer

Default Re: Twofer: Service Pro oil filters and over-filled oil

you should be worried if you see bubbles on your dipstick. that means the crank is hitting the oil causing it to foam or bubble and wont lubricate since it is more air than oil
mazda3memelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:18 PM   #3
DrWebster

I've never heard of Service Pro, nor have ever seen them in an auto parts store. Sounds like a generic brand to me.

The Mazda OEM filters are of very high quality; that's all I (and many others here) use with great results. Purolator and Wix have also gotten good recommendations around these parts.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:39 AM   #4
chaos

[quote author=DrWebster link=topic=179018.msg3786271#msg3786271 date=1283563114]
I've never heard of Service Pro, nor have ever seen them in an auto parts store. Sounds like a generic brand to me.

The Mazda OEM filters are of very high quality; that's all I (and many others here) use with great results. Purolator and Wix have also gotten good recommendations around these parts.
[/quote]

I'm very aware of the quality of the OEM filters, and they're one I had been going with since I had been going to a Mazda dealership for my oil changes. But this time I went to an independent repair shop, so they didn't have the Mazda OEM filters available--and I didn't really have time to order one online (though I may in the future). I was just curious about the Service Pro ones, but it'll only be for this one oil change cycle most likely (unless somebody chimes in that they are actually OEM quality or better).
Old 09-04-2010, 01:20 AM   #5
Mummyman
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Send a message via AIM to Mummyman

Most quick lube places use the cheapest filters they can get their hands on, same goes with the oil they use. A few buddies I knew worked at these joints and the oil drums/filter shipments were all from no-name brands. Your oil cap says 5w-20? Oh well. They would only use 10w-30 because they could get that grade the cheapest in bulk.

A vast majority of quick lube customers don't even check the dipstick, let alone care about the weight of oil. I'm sure they filled you up with 5 quarts, so you are over by 1/2 a quart. Among other things, they'll torque the shit out of the drain bolt/filter, and do a good number on your splash shield.

If you absolutely can't do the process yourself, then I'd personally buy my filters online and grab quality oil on sales at local auto stores/Wal-Mart all the time. For example...

Mazda OEM filter ~ $5.50
Motorcraft semi-synthetic 5w-20 (factory fill in our cars) ~ $12 for a 5 quart Jug at Wal-Mart. Quaker State/Pennzoil can be had for similar pricing.

So $17.50

If you DIY you can pocket the money saved. If not, take it to a dealer and bring them the oil and filter. Both of my local Mazda dealers don't use factory fill oil, in fact they couldn't even tell me what they use, since it changes all the time according to what they can get the cheapest. Not too much different than the quick lubes in that respect. At least if you bring in your own product, you'll have piece of mind knowing what is going in your ride, rather than scouring the internet for information on a generic oil filter.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
chaos

I always buy my own Castrol synthetic and supply it to whoever's doing my oil change for me. I just don't supply my own filters. This is because in the past I've gone to the Mazda dealership, where they use OEM filters (which I know are good). But this time I went to an independent repair shop for the work (NOT a quick lube place... I never trust those). They said the Service Pro filters are OEM or better, and so does that site I linked to, but I just wasn't sure. I will order OEM filters in the future most likely, though (if I continue to go to independent shops).

Update on my situation: First of all, I noticed today they only used 3 quarts out of the 5-quart container I gave them. So how in the world it was over-filled to twice the amount it should be is beyond me. I brought it back today, and they drained some out of it... gave it back to me and it STILL measured above the second line on the dipstick. So we're down to like 2 quarts in that system and it's still full? Something ain't right. They're now going to re-do the whole oil change for me at no cost (and refund me for the new oil), but it all seems very strange. He re-assured me more than once that when he did it originally he drained it until nothing came out, and that he measured it on the dipstick several times before giving it back to me. 2+2=5?
Old 09-04-2010, 07:10 PM   #7
DrWebster

Looks like you have an ATX. Are you sure the fluid they originally drained was engine oil? You might want to check your tranny fluid dipstick.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:05 PM   #8
chaos

Had me nervous for a second... but nope. ATX, power steering, and coolant levels are all right where they should be.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:19 PM   #9
Mummyman
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Send a message via AIM to Mummyman

[quote author=Chaos link=topic=179018.msg3786729#msg3786729 date=1283636475]
But this time I went to an independent repair shop for the work (NOT a quick lube place... I never trust those). They said the Service Pro filters are OEM or better, and so does that site I linked to, but I just wasn't sure.
[/quote]

Well considering the tech who did your oil change can't even put in the right amount of oil, I wouldn't go to this shop again. They put in 3 quarts of your oil, yet it's overfilled? The guy claims he drained it fully, and checked the dipstick "several times"?

The guy is a liar and incompetent, and you should get your car back before he does worse. He never checked the oil level, he's just giving you a line of bullshit. It's funny how a "free" oil change will get people to accept such dumb explanations.

You wasted your time and gas going to get that jug of oil. You've wasted even more time going to the first oil change that was not performed properly. Yet more time being pissed off about an overfilled engine and setting up another service. What's all that worth?

I'd talk to whoever owns the shop and demand a full refund and give them a piece of my mind. I'm sorry, but a tech who blatantly lies right to my face is not going to touch my car again. Why you'd accept to have your car serviced again at this place is beyond me. Just my 2 cents if it was my situation.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:17 AM   #10
chaos

Mostly all valid points... and I would normally completely agree with you, except for a couple things. First of all, the "tech" who performed the oil change actually is the owner of the business (him and his wife). It's a family-owned shop. Also, the place came to me on high reviews and good recommendation. In fact, when I was in there for the initial oil change, one of the customers who was sitting in there with us was raving to us (me and another guy) about how great the shop is and how honest the owners are. It's just hard for me to believe that a place with that good of a reputation would completely botch a routine oil change... even though they obviously did. It all just seems really strange. But believe me, if it (or something worse) happens again there will be a problem. And I am still annoyed--as you pointed out--about having to waste the extra time and gas as it is. I'm thinking of still requesting a refund or something on the original charges as well to make up for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Visual / Audio > Maintenance and Care