wheel balancing needed after tire rotation - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
3zoomzz
Go-Kart Driver

Default wheel balancing needed after tire rotation

I had my tires rotated again at 15000 miles. Seemed right away that I noticed some steering wheel shimmy. I think when these tires were on the front the other time it did that a little, but not as much. Also it seemed the tire/road noise was more noticeable. I had a 1200 mile trip, and by the time I was home, I was positive I had to do something. So I took them (RSA's still) to Goodyear yesterday and had the fronts rebalanced. Seems much better. Looking at the wheels, I'm guessing those little chicklet size gray tabs on the inside of the wheels are the weights. Are they just glued on??? I'd think they would be prone to coming off.
1988 Toyota Pickup, 5 spd manual, blue
3zoomzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2010, 01:55 PM   #2
dbrier
Le Mans: GT Class

Default Re: wheel balancing needed after tire rotation

They are just lead or steel weights with adhesisve on them. Some shops use clip on weight too, concider yourself lucky they used the stick on type, they are much less damaging to your wheels.

It's not that uncommon to need to rebalance wheels and tires. As tires wear, the heavy and light spots may wear away, and that can change things.
dbrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:48 PM   #3
3zoomzz
Go-Kart Driver

oh ugh, you mean they can put clip on weights on the snowflakes, even though there is no....trough for those kind of weights? ackk... I wouldn't like that at all, must really stick out. The troughs on my explorer and miata wheels show some of that ugliness from the clip on weights. The 3 is the first vehicle I've had with smooth sided edge wheels.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:52 PM   #4
golddragoner
Short Track Racer

[quote author=3ZOOMZZ link=topic=178454.msg3774639#msg3774639 date=1282690138]
oh ugh, you mean they can put clip on weights on the snowflakes, even though there is no....trough for those kind of weights? ackk... I wouldn't like that at all, must really stick out. The troughs on my explorer and miata wheels show some of that ugliness from the clip on weights. The 3 is the first vehicle I've had with smooth sided edge wheels.
[/quote]

no, unless there is actually a lip on the rim you have to use the adhesive weights. You can also ask a shop to put adhesive weights on instead of hammer-on weights (most shops charge a bit more)
golddragoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:55 PM   #5
Dr. Evil
Go-Kart Driver

Typically they'll use the adhesive weights for alloys. It also keeps the look of the wheels cleaner from the outside.
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:15 PM   #6
3zoomzz
Go-Kart Driver

The tire noise has continued. Balancing helped almost remove the shimmy.

Now I have noticed the left front tire is cupped on the inside. The posts I see about cupping seem to point to a suspension member, but aren't real conclusive either. Is that conceivable at 18k mostly highway miles? I don't know if the cupping was there earlier and I couldn't feel it, or whether its developing on the front.

Not sure what I should be looking for now.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:12 PM   #7
JoePa2624
Moped Rider

Cupping is usually caused by 2 things:

Alignment being out of spec and a lack of rotation. Tires should be rotated every 5000 miles and your alignment should be checked every 6-8 months. Every place you buy your tires from will rotate them for free and certain companies offer a lifetime alignment so that you can keep up with both of those for free.

Rarely, cupping can be caused by bad struts/shocks also
JoePa2624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:34 PM   #8
3zoomzz
Go-Kart Driver

They have been rotated every 5000 miles, so I don't think that is the issue. Thanks for your ideas!

I don't for sure know what rotation pattern the dealer has used, so am going to have to discuss with them. I'm guessing if it is an alignment problem, from the other posts I have read, that it may be the rear that's the problem, especially since the noise seemed to be so prominent after the rotation at 15k. I see no issue with the car going straight down the road with no hands on the wheel or other handling problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Wheels / Tires