My thoughts on the 2.5L engine - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
Zm - Zm
Moped Rider

Default My thoughts on the 2.5L engine

After 5,000 miles, I've come to a couple conclusions. As for a standing start, the engine is a dog, but then again, that is not what it's intended for.

Once I'm rolling, it's a different story, this thing will get up and go like a scalded dog. Run n gun. I never thought I could have so much fun with a four banger.

I can only imagine what the MS3 is like.

Zoom Zoom
Zm - Zm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
mpt_1981
Moped Rider

Default Re: My thoughts on the 2.5L engine

i'll second that. never expected to be able to go from 25 to 60 as fast i have. not near what i had with the 8 but it was a pleasant surprise. drove my boss one day and he was asking me where i was going so fast, i was just normally accelerating. i've driven other small four bangers of friends and family, but this engine seems to have some extra grunt hiding somewhere.
mpt_1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:51 PM   #3
barndweller
Moped Rider

the 6-speed is geared pretty low at the bottom so you really gotta do some fast rowing comin' outta the hole.
But I agree, once she's rollin' a bit look out, it'll stick ya to yer seat...
Old 11-08-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
wingzero_
Le Mans: GT Class

I agree, 1st gear is boring. 2nd-5th are fun, and 6th is just there to try and save us some fuel.
Mods: | Simota CBII-656 | Racing Beat Axle-Back | Racing Beat RSB | 1.25" Drop Road Magnet | Yellow XPEL Fogs | JDM Goodie Axela Badge | TB Ground | NextMod STB | EBay Eyelids | Hankook Ventus H105 | Garage16.ca Vent Visors | Dupli-Color Red Calipers | Advance Timing Mod | License plate tint | TRZ Dog Bone RMM | JBR SSP | JBR BB | MSDS Header

Mazda3 Sound Clips
wingzero_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:29 AM   #5
BeansRocks
Grand Am Series

I was really surprised by this little 4-banger... It's got quite a bit of torque, which really makes the car fun to drive - I think.

Corksport SRI, Corksport CBE.
BeansRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:18 PM   #6
potenza
Le Mans: GT Class

must get my 2.0 swapped D:
potenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:10 PM   #7
XERO74
Go-Kart Driver

Send a message via AIM to XERO74 Send a message via Yahoo to XERO74

I too agree. I've come from a truck and car with V8's and thought this 4 banger would be pretty crappy compared to those. Man was I pleasantly surprised. Wish I had a speed tho, but I needed an auto for the wife.
XERO74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:31 AM   #8
BeansRocks
Grand Am Series

[quote author=XERO74 link=topic=177062.msg3855760#msg3855760 date=1289441401]
I too agree. I've come from a truck and car with V8's and thought this 4 banger would be pretty crappy compared to those. Man was I pleasantly surprised. Wish I had a speed tho, but I needed an auto for the wife.
[/quote]

I had the same problem.... But I explained it like this, "Honey, you hate driving my car anyway, let me get a manual".

I'm not sure how or why that worked, but it did. Or maybe she just felt pitty for me.

Corksport SRI, Corksport CBE.
BeansRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:38 PM   #9
rajtech113
Bicycle Rider

in my opinion the 6 speed MT is not slow to start. Its pretty quick at all speed ranges. Nice car. However, I am disappointed with the MPG tho. Wish the direct injection gas or diesel were available now.
rajtech113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:02 PM   #10
chromal
Short Track Racer

Even up at 5000-8000ft with 15-24% horsepower loss due the high elevation natural aspiration derating, it's fun. Are there any better-accelerating US market hatchback vehicles than the 2nd gen mz3 with it's l5-ve 2.5l engine and 6-spd MT? I determined the answer was "not really" in August. I disagree with the assessment that 1st gear is slow, once I've let out the clutch in 1st, I can stand on the throttle and it'll generally pull ahead of any other car I've shared the road with from a stop. Ah well, YMMV, but as corny as i must admit it sounds, I get a nice zoom-zoom feeling in my mz3, regardless of no forced induction.
chromal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Mazda3 General Discussion > Consumer Reviews