Fuel filter - how to replace? - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
echelon6
Bicycle Rider

Default Fuel filter - how to replace?

I ran a forum search on past threads and seems like everyone here thinks the Mazda 3 fuel filter is inside the gas tank and not meant to be serviced

But in my car maintenance manual it clearly states the fuel filter needs to be replaced every 40,000km. I live in Australia, and most people here are in the US - so maybe I have a different model of the Mazda? lol

I spoke to a dealer here in Australia and I was told the fuel filter was near the rear driver side wheel, under the car? I tried looking under the car and didnt' see anything but then maybe I had to remove a cover (which i didn't do).

Can someone once and for all tell me whether my fuel filter is inside the gas tank and does not need to be replaced, or is actually supposed to be regularly serviced? Thanks
echelon6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2010, 12:31 AM   #2
echelon6
Bicycle Rider

Default Re: Fuel filter - how to replace?

Bump

Nobody knows whether Mazda 3's fuel filter can be serviced?
Old 07-20-2010, 12:49 AM   #3
Oricle

the NA market 3 does not use a replaceable fuel filter, the only filter that i know of is built into the fuel pump. in the manual (section 8-4 there is no reference to fuel filter replacement, just inspection of the lines). according to mazda "[we have] done long term tests and have determined that it is not necessary to replace the fuel filter(s) in the MAZDA3. Mazda does recommend that you follow the Scheduled Maintenance listed on page 8-4 of the Owner's Manual. Please refer to your Warranty Booklet for more information regarding your MAZDA3."
Old 07-20-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
quikz
Short Track Racer

In the US. The fuel filter is nothing but a 'sock' and is submerged in the fuel tank with the fuel pump. Needs no replacement. It's just a strainer net or like really rough pantyhose. Not that I would know anything bout 'pantyhose'.... :P

2004 Nissan Sentra
quikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
tigermack
F1 Driver

Send a message via AIM to tigermack Send a message via Yahoo to tigermack

What if the net somehow get filled up from long term used... lol
Old 07-20-2010, 09:40 PM   #6
echelon6
Bicycle Rider

Ahhh ok maybe the Australian Mazda 3 has an inline filter then

Maybe Mazda's determined non-american petrol is dirtier
Old 07-21-2010, 12:01 AM   #7
hoffo
Le Mans: Prototype Class

I don't think anyone will have issues with that setup. Truth be told I had an 85 Nissan 200sx Turbo i bought used some years ago and it had 140,000 miles or so on it and still had the original fuel filter on it. I bought a new filter and put it on the car and there was no difference at all that I could tell. I decided I would open up the old fuel filter and it wasn't very dirty inside at all. So as much as people think fuel filters are so important I kinda felt it was a scam after my own experience.
2005 Mazda 3i 2.0 5spd mt velocity red. Corksport rear mount insert, Mazdaspeed short shifter, carbon fiber shift boot, Redline mt-90, K&N air filter, Denso iridium plugs, Optima red top, tb ground, Pivot mega raizin, ebay strut tower brace, H&R coilovers, 16x7 Rota fighter 10s, H&R rear sway, Corksport exhaust, Whiteline adj. front endlinks
hoffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Visual / Audio > Maintenance and Care