V6 engines vs. 4 cylinder turbo - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
bho15
Moped Rider

Default V6 engines vs. 4 cylinder turbo

This question has probably been posted before, but I was wondering which is the best choice between the two? I don't plan to mod, upgrade or take either car to the track. I'm looking for a more fun to drive car, good on gas and if possible less problems with the engine.
bho15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2010, 10:24 AM   #2
silvapain
Grand Am Series

Send a message via AIM to silvapain
Default Re: V6 engines vs. 4 cylinder turbo

Pro's of 4Cyl turbo over 6 Cyl:
- Lighter weight than a 6 cylinder engine with comparable power
- More fuel efficient (when you don't push it into boost)
- Higher max Hp numbers in general

Pro's of 6 Cyl over 4 Cyl turbo:
- More low-RPM torque
- Some people feel that a 6 Cyl has a better exhaust note
- Less complex to work on
- Less engine bay heat (which means better engine reliability as a general rule)
- Generally less NVH (noise, vibration, harshness)

Of course people will state that turbos are more mod friendly and have a cool sound with an aftermarket BOV, but you stated specifically that you don't intend to mod, so I did not list those.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
channelv
Grand Am Series

Send a message via ICQ to channelv Send a message via AIM to channelv Send a message via MSN to channelv Send a message via Yahoo to channelv
Default Re: V6 engines vs. 4 cylinder turbo

After reading "less problems with the engine" part of your post, you'll need to go the V6 route. I got a fully loaded Mercury Milan (Ford Fusion) as a rental car - which is odd considering its a rental. 12 speaker sony system, all leather etc etc. I was hoping to get the 4 cyl 2.5L so I could have a comparison to my Mazda's 2.3 (though the Merc is heavier), however it came with the 3.0L V6 with 6 speed Selecspeed auto. It makes 240 hp and 223 tq. It doesn't sound like a whole lot....but the thing is this car FEELS a lot faster than the mazdaspeed3 for some reason! The brakes also feel much better and stronger as well. Using the selecspeed 6 speed auto, I could get going SO FAST and so quick, passing was TOO easy. To say the least I was very impressed. It was also smoother as V6s tend to be, and quieter. Isn't this 3.0 the same as the one in the previous mazda6?
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Mazda3 General Discussion > Mazda3 (Axela)