Light Rattling/Grinding Noise When accelerating - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:36 AM   #1
Derek8588
Bicycle Rider

Default Light Rattling/Grinding Noise When accelerating

Hello all. New to the forums as you can see. I have just recently purchased a used 2006 Mazda 3i about a week and a half ago from a dealership. I am very satisfied with the car overall except for two things. One being the power steering pump whining while at idle. I have read and found that that is normal... Oh well. I dont remember it being so loud when I test drove it. The major concern I am having however is with a light rattling/grinding noise when accelerating between 1000 - 2000 RPMs. Speed doesnt matter. I can be crusing at 45 mph and very lightly press the gass and hear it, or at a dead stop and slowly accelerating. If I press it a little harder the sound goes away. It's consistent, and can be heard under the same circumstances whether the car is hot or cold. The car didnt make this noise before I bought it, ugh. Anyway, the car only makes this noise when in Drive or Reverse. I have tried to duplicate the sound when sitting still in Park or neutral, but have failed. Therefore, the rattling noise only occurs while the car is in gear and under load. I have read threads that it could be heat shields, or loose bolts, or the cats... Well I havent ruled those out or had them checked but it would seem that if that were the case it would make the same noise regardless of whether I was in gear or in park/neutral. Any ideas on what this could be? It's driving me nuts knowing I just bought this thing and already having issues with it. Thanks for your time and patience. Oh by the way, I managed to work in a 30 day 1000 mile powertrain warranty with the dealer.
Derek8588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
Derek8588
Bicycle Rider

Default Re: Light Rattling/Grinding Noise When accelerating

UPDATE: Well its about 88 degreees outside today. Same rattling noise as described above. Just wanted to add that I opened the hood after driving the car for about 5 minutes and listened carfeully to the motor while it was running. I noticed a very very light knocking noise that came and went every 10 -15 secs. With no particular rhythm. That would make me think its the motor mounts, but why wouldnt I hear it much louder when I revved the motor in park? Hmm

By the way, I replied to my previous post instead of editing because I couldnt add any more text to the previous post. (I know I type alot, sorry
Old 05-20-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
cali_axela
F1 Driver

The passenger side motor mount is a relatively common point of failure and may explain those symptoms. It's sometimes tough to tell for sure by looking at it while installed, but see if there are any dark lines of dripping oil on the frame next to / underneath that side mount. It's hydraulic, and often when it fails you can tell by the telltale leaking fluid lines. But sometimes it just separates without leaking. Definitely worth a closer look.
cali_axela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
Derek8588
Bicycle Rider

yup, top passenger mount has ruptured. fluid everywhere. at the dealership now and they claim their 30 day 1000 mile powertrain warranty does not cover it (nissan dealership). so if i decide to go aftermarket, which mounts are the best? I dont buy anything from ebay either. i know the street unit one is good, but its $300.00 i was tryen to stay below 150. thx
Old 05-24-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
cali_axela
F1 Driver

I would personally stick with a replacement stock mount, I don't like vibes at idle and the side mounts tend to give them. You can probably pick one up from one of our sponsor-dealers here for around $100.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:48 PM   #6
Derek8588
Bicycle Rider

Well after argiung with the dealership they agreed to replace it free of charge. its a blessing. the mechanic had me drive him around to hear the rattling/grinding noises, and it so happened that one time out of a million i could not get the car the make the sound. regardless though, he knew the mount was shot and the the mechanic said they had to order the part and that it would be in thursday. in the meantime, he also said that it would be safe to continue to drive the car until then. well i personally am trying to drive it as little as possible. i will report back after thursday for anyone who is interested.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:57 AM   #7
Derek8588
Bicycle Rider

Well they fixed the car Friday. Decent Service. I dropped the car off at the dealership round 8:30 am. They took me to college and picked me up two hours later. Car was fixed. Drove car home and I no longer heard the grinding/ rattling noise. At least until late that evening after the car had time to cool off. I could tell a difference in the overall amount of vibrations, which were much less than before. However, as it stands, the grinding noise still exists. Starting to think it's the transmission. I have about 9 days left in their 30 day 1000 mile powertrain warranty. Hopefully someone can suggest something based off of what I noticed tonight. I was driving and paying extra close attention to the grinding noise and when it occured. This is what I would do. Accelerate until about 40 mph, let off the throttle. Then lightly press the throttle and hold it at 2,000 RPM's Then about a second or two later I noticed the RPM's would drop to about 1,500 - 1,600 Rpms and the grinding noise would start and continue until I let off the gas. This noise always occurs only around this RPM range. I was in 4th gear during this "procedure" in automatic mode. (Auto tranny) I repeated this process at least 3 times with same exact results. Now im starting to worry. Anyone have any suggestions? Keep in mind that this grinding noise also occurs in 1st and 2nd gear when slowly accelerating (about 1800 RPM), and ALWAYS stops as soon as I let off the gas. I would really appreciate it. Thanks. (I will do some more "testing" tomorrow.)

Derek
Old 06-01-2010, 02:35 PM   #8
Derek8588
Bicycle Rider

Well I took the bottom plastic splash guard off. Sound is still coming from the car. (Sounds like the passenger side of engine bay). My next idea was to replace the belts and flush the Automatic transmission fluid. Transmisison fluid is a light brown color so I know it needs to be flushed. Wondering whether or not it would be best to flush it with a machine (through the dealer) or drain/fill method... Car has 68k miles on it. One other question. The only way I could pinpoint this grinding noise is to raise the front end up where the tires can spin free and have someone lightly press the throttle while in gear while I listen around in the engine bay for the noise. Could doing this damage the transmission in any way? Bad Idea, Good idea? Thanks for the replies. 6 Days left in my powertrain warranty
Old 06-01-2010, 04:41 PM   #9
cali_axela
F1 Driver

My girlfriend's auto tranny sedan was making a really horrible grinding noise sporadically, which I thought sounded like a pretty bad internal problem... but it turned out, the front passenger-side wheel well plastic, where it attaches to the main underbody splash shield, had been fastened onto the main splash shield incorrectly (on top of it instead of below it) and was just rubbing against the A/C compressor pulley. I disconnected it, manhandled it around into position in the correct order so there was clearance between it and the pulley, and no more noise. Kind of a longshot that you're having the same problem, but worth looking into.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:26 PM   #10
Plucky2035
Go-Kart Driver

Did you ever find out what the problem was? Was your transmission the cause of this rattle/grinding sound?
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Powertrain 2004-2009 Mazda3 > Stock Issues